Overclocking an E8500 on a Asus P5B Deluxe Motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

King$nake

In Runtime
Hello. I was wondering if anyone has OC'd there E8500 on this specific board, and how was it done? I'd like to get over 4.0Ghz (Have proper CPU Cooling) and was wanting to know if there are any write-ups that could walk me through it?

Thanks!

e8500 to 4.0ghz usually requires no voltage change, so just do an FSB increase and you should be good

I'm not sure how far you can push the fsb on a p965, just had a quick look and seems some people hit a wall at about 450mhz, but it sounds as if raising the NB voltage will fix this problem. Basically to overclock, all you need to do is keep upping the fsb in about 20mhz intervals, keep going until your computer doesn't load up windows (may freeze etc.) then either raise the voltage a little and keep upping the fsb or stop when your temps are getting too high, which is over 60c load for you.

Ok, so I went into BIOS and upped the FSB from 333 to 433, and I didn't notice a difference in CPU speed (using CPU-Z)

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Bumping the FSB from 333 to 433 will definately change your clocks. Make sure you save the changes when you exit your bios, otherwise they wont take effect.

FSB is the only way to overclock unless you have an Extreme intel edition or a Black AMD chip.

If you dont know what speedstep is, then you will have it enabled (because the default is ON). Basically its a method of saving power by decreasing the CPU multiplier when the CPU is not being stressed.

So just looking to check that your getting the speeds you want you will have to either disable speedstep (check your motherboard manual) or just run a reasonably intensive program while in CPU-Z like SuperPI or Prime, IBT, a game, whatever you want. When you do this the cpu will up its multiplier to the maximum and you will get the accurate speed your chip is running at when it is loaded.

Bumping the FSB from 333 to 433 will definately change your clocks. Make sure you save the changes when you exit your bios, otherwise they wont take effect.

FSB is the only way to overclock unless you have an Extreme intel edition or a Black AMD chip.

If you dont know what speedstep is, then you will have it enabled (because the default is ON). Basically its a method of saving power by decreasing the CPU multiplier when the CPU is not being stressed.

So just looking to check that your getting the speeds you want you will have to either disable speedstep (check your motherboard manual) or just run a reasonably intensive program while in CPU-Z like SuperPI or Prime, IBT, a game, whatever you want. When you do this the cpu will up its multiplier to the maximum and you will get the accurate speed your chip is running at when it is loaded.

Ok, Ill keep bumping up the FSB.

Just FYI - Ive attached a Screenshot of CPU-Z. Was wondering if you could take a look at it and make sure everything looks OK

thx

Attachments

• cpu.jpg
    cpu.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 839
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom