3 new comps

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will say, AMD really is making a comeback here. They are gunning for the top spot. They still have a ways to go but I like to see the 955 perform pretty decently, regardless of price atm.

Oh ya i7 is very much still the king and the build I put together for him is in his budget with a 920. I'm not recommending he go with a 955 at all. I was just commenting on the fact that AMD is improving.

Newegg.com - Acer X223Wbd Black 22" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 2500:1 - LCD Monitors

Newegg.com - PC Power & Cooling S75CF 750W EPS12V SLI NVIDIA SLI Certified (Dual 8800 GTX and below) CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

Newegg.com - ASUS P6T SE LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Newegg.com - Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit for System Builders - Operating Systems

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

This will be a much better build than your AMD build and it is in your budget. It has room for an upgrade to SLI later down the road too.

Crossfire is basically the ATI version of SLI but that doesn't mean you can just stick two ATI cards in any board and they will work together or vice versa. The motherboard chipset has to support SLI or crossfire for the respective technology to work. The new x58 chipset for i7 has support for both SLI and crossfire.

The PSU I chose is a much better brand. OCZ can be a little sketchy on their PSUs. Some have fluctuating +12v rails which can cause problems. PC Power & Cooling is the best PSU maker around. They make a solid product.

EDIT: I don't know what you are talking about with the core 2 duos. They absolutely whooped anything AMD in their prime. They still beat most AMDs. I'm sorry but you are very very wrong about the core 2 duos.

ok these builds are very similar, i will point out the differences in parts and price. i guess since im being recommended the i7 i am for sure going with it since you guys are more up to date on your parts than i am.

the first difference i would like to bring up would be the graphics card.
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!
vs
Newegg.com - XFX HD-489A-ZDFC Radeon HD 4890 1GB 256-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

now the both run at $250 a piece, but which one performs better? i am a huge fan of the nvidia cards personally, but im going to put my ati grudge behind me and give them a chance if they can out perform the gtx 275.

next i would like to compare motherboards.
Newegg.com - ASUS P6T SE LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
vs

the asus runs at $210 and the biostar costs $270 obviously the biostar is better? but is it worth it?

last comes the PSU
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies
vs
Newegg.com - PC Power & Cooling S75CF 750W EPS12V SLI NVIDIA SLI Certified (Dual 8800 GTX and below) CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

the corsair costs $120 and the PCP&C costs $110. personally i dont know much about PCP&C but i know corsair is very reliable, so im kinda stuck between the too but leaning more towards the corsair PSU at the moment.

the first build is going to run $1,025 with $40 worth of mail in rebates so $985 total
the second build is going to run $1,090 + $ 14 shipping = $1,104 - $50 in rebates so $1,054 total.

personally ide rather spend $985 than $1,054 but is it worth saving the money? i mean its only a $69 differnce, but i also have to factor in a monitor and the one i want costs $190, so the first build would put me at $1,175($25 cheaper than my $1,200 budget) and the second build would put me at $1,244(which is $44 over my budget so i would have to use a different monitor)

The 4890 is probably the better choice. I didn't think of it when I made my build.

PC Power & Cooling is the best PSU brand around. I chose the red one simply because its a little cheaper but if you want a black one Newegg.com - PC Power & Cooling S75QB 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI NVIDIA SLI Certified (Dual 8800 GTX and below) CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply compatible with core i7 - Power Supplies. Don't worry about the dual 8800gtx certified thing. It will run 2 4890s in crossfire if you later decide to do that.

The Biostar is also the better board but I was trying to stay under your budget and you will still do fine with the ASUS

The 4890 is probably the better choice. I didn't think of it when I made my build.

PC Power & Cooling is the best PSU brand around. I chose the red one simply because its a little cheaper but if you want a black one Newegg.com - PC Power & Cooling S75QB 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI NVIDIA SLI Certified (Dual 8800 GTX and below) CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply compatible with core i7 - Power Supplies. Don't worry about the dual 8800gtx certified thing. It will run 2 4890s in crossfire if you later decide to do that.

The Biostar is also the better board but I was trying to stay under your budget and you will still do fine with the ASUS

so i should go with the radeon card over the nvidia card? is you think that the radeon card is better than i will go with it (i mean they are the same price, honestly i dont care about rebates, i dunno why i even factored them into my math lol)

i will take the PCP&C psu, i might as well give a different brand a shot (honestly i favor antec when it comes to PSUs)

as far as the mobo goes i will go with the cheaper one(asus), and also the radeon card comes with the same combo deal as the biostar does, so it will still be the same ram in the package.

also i dont care about the color/looks of any of these parts, im not trying to create a show piece, **** im throwing these parts into an OOOOOOOLD school case that has been used in many many many different builds. this case has been around since the mid 90's and has gone thru atleast 10 different upgrades heh

doh guess i gotta find new ram, any recommendations? or should i find one in a combo deal? i guess the ram was in a combo deal with the gtx275 and not the radeon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom