3 new comps

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess you didn't pay attention to the build I posted which included a monitor and vista and it was still under your budget.

Here is a review pitting the i7 920 and the x4 940 against eachother and it is very clear which one is better.

I guess you didn't pay attention to the build I posted which included a monitor and vista and it was still under your budget.

Here is a review pitting the i7 920 and the x4 940 against eachother and it is very clear which one is better.

but how does it par with the 955? the 955 and the 920 cost about the same price

the 955 is only slightly clocked higher then the 940. The difference/purpose of the 955 is it was made to support am3, which only supports ddr3/am3 motherboards and the performance gain you get for ddr3 is minimal.

AnandTech: AMD's Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition

Here is an in-depth review of the 955. It is overall beat in pretty much everything by a stock i7 920. There are a few games where it pulls ever so slightly ahead of the 920 but a very minor overclock to 3.2GHz on the 920 (which is very easy and would put it at the same freq. as the 955) would put it back in front I'm sure.

They also overclocked both and the 955 proved to not be a very good overclocker. The highest they got it was 3.9 (a 22% OC) on 1.425v while they got their 920 to 4.0 (a 50% OC) on 1.35v.

In all of the productivity tests and such, the 920 wiped the floor with the 955. This article still makes it pretty clear what the better processor is.

When the phenom II's came out i thought they would be significantly cheaper then the i7's, even though motherboards are generally cheaper the cpu's are not, i remember one of my friends knew a guy who worked for AMD and he was telling my friend that intel's i7's are good but the new phenom II's will be better. Although this was only about a month ago so maybe he is referring to the next revision of AMD chips.

Well you have to go ddr3 for the i7 but if you were to go amd, it would be wiser to get an x4 940 and ddr2 ram. But your rig is much better than a 940 system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom