Heat sink

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shumway

Fully Optimized
I'm getting ready to order a Thermalright slk-948u but i can't make up my mind on the fan, right now i have 2 in mind-

vantec tornado 92mm 119cfm at 56dba

thermaltake 92mm 56cfm at 35dba

do you think the thermaltake would give good cooling? or should i go with the vantec tornado as it has more cfm's.

i would suggest this fan:

http://www.frozencpu.com/cgi-bin/frozencpu/fan-122.html

when it comes to putting a fan on an already existing heatsink, i dont think any fan does the job better than this one :).. it does get kinda noisy tho on high rpms but u shud only have to turn it up that high when ur doing some extreme gaming.. when ur just idling or doing some things that are easy on the processor like surfing or sumthin then u can turn it down to low-mid rpms when its very quiet for the amount of cooling it delivers :)

EDIT: Trust me you do now want a tornado.. on one of my customers computer he had wanted me to do a cpl of custom mods.. n since it was one of those "default" beige cases it needed some fans.. i put 4 fans (1 intake front 1200mm, 2 80mm exhaust blowwholes, and one read 80mm exhaust) and the system ran pretty quiet.. then he wanted me to add a fan on the side window that would allow some cooling for the vga card and the cpu.. so i went ahead and installed a vantec tornado.. by far the LOUDEST thing ive ever heard.. on a computer its absolutely obscene... i would suggest going with the one that i suggested.. even at full rpms u can only hear a slight hum of the fan from 4 feet away...

Unfortunatly that fan will not fit on the heatsink, and that thing look's like a toy you would get out of a McDonald's happy meal:) I just went with the thermaltake and ordered a couple other fan's but thank's for the reply's.

lol np :)... theres nothing wrong with a tornado but make sure that u have a fan controller to go with it :) lol

If the fan gets loud, you can get rubber fan silencers from the same site: frozenCPU.com.

well the tornado goes WAYY too fast on the rpms for u to really notice any quietness with the rubber fan silencers.. lol shumway u cud've just got a 80mm-92mm fan adapter :p lol

_SiLv3R_ : If you looked at the heatsink you would see you can only hook up a regular style fan, and as it say's up above i did'nt go with the tornado i went with a thermaltake instead

I have the 80MM tornado on my SLK-900A so it's almost the same as you :D just a size smaller...the thing is damn loud, but I have the Sunbeam Rheobus fan controller and it controls it like a champ so that you can barely hear it...problem is I have 9 case fans, plus the tornado on the CPU, plus 2 in the PSU so it's a loud system :D Two blower fans, one on each side. I'm hopin to get pics this weekend :/

Basically yeah that 92 will be loud as hell, but if you get a fan controller you'll be good to go, just play music or games loud, or wear headphones

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom