Opions Needed on my Future/Ultimate PC build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brisky

Baseband Member
All right after much disscussion I think I have my final setup for my future PC.
:D

Take note That I won't be making this sucker for about 2 monthes.

Let me know what you like, don't, would change ect....

Motherboard
MSI "K8N Neo2 Platinum" NVIDIA nForce3 ULTRA Chipset Motherboard For AMD Socket 939 CPU

Thermaltake Tsunami Dream Tower

enlargedViewWindow.jpg

AMD Athlon 64 3500+, 512K, L2 Cache, Windows Compatible 64-bit Processor 939 Pin

OCZ Gold Edition Rev3 Dual Channel Kit 184-Pin 1GB(512MBx2) DDR PC-3700

20-146-843-01.JPG

Western Digital Raptor 74GB 10,000RPM SATA Hard Drive, Model WD740GD

22-144-160-02.JPG

Plextor 12X DVD+/-RW Drive, Model PX-712A Black

[b/Ultra X 500w PSU[/b]

xoxide_1810_88780315

EVGA nVIDIA GeForce 6800 GT Video Card 256MB GDDR3, 256-Bit

14-130-208-01.JPG

I will also be getting thermaltake Copper Heatsink and a Coolmaster blue LED lit dual fan.

Now I just Need Final Opions on the future system. I will follow up with how it does once I am done.

Thanks!

I don't like that case, get a ThermalTake Tsunami with 120mm fans :D

Oh, and DDR400 is probably a little slow these days, get DDR450 or something (of same quality though).

im not that fond of msi motherboards.. have had some bad experiences.. i would suggest this motherboard:

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=240140

and if you are willing so switch from a socket 939 to a 745 then i would go with this mobo:

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=240132-OP

out of my experience that is one of the best motherboard for amd 64 processors out yet.. very stable and excellent for over clocking.. if u are willling to dish out just a teeny little bit more cash i would go with that model instead of the msi

EDIT: also i would not go for the gainward card.. but reather either a xfx or an eVGA 6800GT... they are both easily overclockable to ultra speeds.. trust me if u dont put out the extra cash on the mobo put it out for one of these 2 cards.. u wont be sorry :)

im not that fond of msi motherboards.. have had some bad experiences..

fair enough, but ive heard really good things about this motherboard, so i would not hesitate to recommend it, but curiosly i like this Abit motherboard more: http://www.abit-usa.com/products/mb/techspec.php?categories=1&model=201

and if you are willing so switch from a socket 939 to a 745 then i would go with this mobo:

no offence, but that would be a really really stupid thing to do, because the socket 754 doesnt have much of a future, im not sayin they are slow, but they are beaten by the socket 939 64's which have a bright looking future :) thankfully :D

I have to agree with you though Silv3r, i wouldnt get the Gainward 6800GT, i would go with EVGA or MSI.

"im not that fond of msi motherboards.. have had some bad experiences.."

Same here, only I had problems with a 9800Pro vid. card from them...I wouldn't go with MSI. Get an Abit or Asus mobo. They are the best.

Brisky, to tell you the truth, there is no such thing as the "ultimate PC". The moment your PC will be completed, there will be a WHOLE bunch of ways you could improve it. There will be new technology out. I had dreams of an ultimate PC, but now I see the many ways it could be enhanced.

what was said above and get like a 3400+...might as well have a 1600Mhz FSB over a little 500Mhz. and its still as easy to overclock. also...i know alotta people like newegg, but tigerdirect.com is alot better on prices and having everything in stock. they also have alottt more spread of products. you can get a asus mobo and amd 3400+ for like 300$...smokin deal if ya ask me. ju st my .02$

-Corey

Oh I know if I really wanted to make a "Ultimate PC" I would spend thousands on Dual FXs and A Ultra.

So whats so bad about MSI?

I have heard nothing but good things about them and the reviews I read on this board were all good.

Oh and the boards only support DDR400. So 450 would be a waste. Cause I don't really plan on overclocking it.

Yeah.....people just have different experiences. I have an MSI board and I have had nothing but good experience with it. The only thing it lacks is OC options. For which I would recommend an ABit board if you want lots of options. For the 939 socket I would suggest the AV8-3rd Eye from ABit, if you want MSI (which in my opinion is a good board, just not as many options) I would suggest the Neo2-Fir instead of the Neo2 platinum only because I'm partial to VIA chipsets myself and I think are a little less 'buggier' but thats just my opinion not a set in stone fact or anything.

AVOID ASUS is my strongest comment I got towards that.

And like most people have said I would also suggest you get an eVGA 6800GT they put the same heavy duty heatsinks on all their cards, not just the 6800 Ultra which means for the lesser cards you got better than stock cooling 'technically' and I've heard numerous reports of getting it to Ultra speeds quite easily. BFG produces an already OC'd out of the box brand if you want to look into that, but I still suggest the eVGA.

I would listen to kangaroo when it comes to the case selection.

Other than that, everything looks good :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom