is my graphics card toast?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigerfootball05

In Runtime
My roommate installed and played Crysis on my aging computer and after a few days of it working without any major problems, the game suddenly went to black screen and froze. My roommate did a hard reset on my computer and when Windows started to load back up, there were weird pixelated blocks on the login screen. When I logged into my account on Windows, all of the graphics were horribly messed up and I really couldn't see a thing besides my cursor. I could hear programs starting up like normal and could even sometimes see some of the windows that would pop up during the normal start-up process, but all I could see were essentially four big triangles filling my computer screen (looks like a big X in the middle of my screen). I'm a little worried that Crysis worked my card too hard (a 6600gt) and the card crashed. The thing is, I can still get into safe mode and see everything no problem. I have tried reinstalling the drivers for my card and have uninstalled Crysis, but neither of those fixes seemed to work. Anyone have any idea what happened or how I can fix it?

Well, it could've overheated and damaged itself, though they tend to shut themselves off long before then.

I did have this happen to me a while ago on my old comp (GeForce 6800), and installing the latest drivers worked for some reason; you could try doing so.

does your mobo have on board graphics? if so p lug into that and see if the card did die, other then that i have no idea :)

that or see if by chance windows set the color back to 16-bit mode

I installed the latest drivers but sill no help. And no, my mobo doesn't have any on board graphics, so if it does go into safe mode and I can see everything fine (i'm in networking safe mode now), does that mean its not a hardware issue?

Well I think I fixed it for good. I reinstalled Vista, which did nothing to help the problem (and created a few more, more on that in another thread), so I was forced to conclude that the card was fried. I went out and bought another graphics card, installed it and now everything works fine. Crysis must have pushed my card too much and killed it. RIP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom