installed 9600gt, now freezes at windows startup

Status
Not open for further replies.

hhalo23

Beta member
was just given a e-geforce 9600gt by a friend who upgraded. with my old radeon x800xl the computer loads windows and runs smoothly. with this new card, it freezes at the windows logo 9 times out of 10 or so...but...on that 10th time, it loads perfectly fine. i have remembered to hook up the necessary extra 6pin power supply to the card. any other ideas??

Cool Master 500W
MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum (MS-7125)(NVIDIA nForce 4 Ultra Chipset)
AMD Athlon 64, 2000MHz (10 x 200) 3200+ socket 939
3Gb PC3200 DDR SDRAM 200/400MHz
E-Geforce 9600 GT 512MB GDDR3 PCI-Express
WDC WD1600JD-00HBB0(149 GB,IDE)
Windows XP Pro SP3

Did you unistall the ATI drivers before you installed the Nvidia drivers?

you may need to unplug the card from the mobo and then plug it back in. Sometimes the contacts just don't make a good connection.

You may need to boot into Safe Mods and use Driver Sweeper to clean up the remainder of them.

Uninstall the Nvidia drivers, boot into Safe Mode, use Driver sweeper to clean up both the ATI and Nvidia drivers, reboot into Windows, and reinstall the Nvidia drivers.

used ATI catalyst unistaller to remove all of the old video card software. also used driver sweeper in safe mode. tried unplugging the 9600gt and plugging it back in firmly, still freezes as soon as windows logo appears. any ideas?

what cable are you referring to? I plugged it in to the mobo and also connected the 6-pin power supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom