game freezes/crashes after while..HELP!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jshepherd

Solid State Member
hi everyone

for some strange reason, every time i play a certain game, after a while my game will just freeze for about a minute until i am able to ALT+TAB / WINDOW KEY back to windows. From there, I CTRL+ALT+DELETE and it says game is running but if i try to go back in game it just freezes again repeating the above process. i tried manually killing the process and to run the game again but it will just freeze, however if i do this the game will just freeze right when i reach the main menu or load back up..the only way i can fix everything is if i restart my computer but that just makes it so i can play for about 15-20 minutes then it will crash again..............

note that this does NOT happen to all games..for example, i can play counter-strike or counter-strike source for 12 hours straight and it wont crash...but if i play another game (even if it is worse graphics/cpu usage wise) it will sometimes crash in 20/30 minutes.. in this case Mass Effect/Prince of Persia/Starcraft crash for me...

If you have any idea please let me know

i hardly doubt it is my computer because my specs are not bad at all.. i have a intel core 2 duo / 2gb / 8800 ultra nvidia ..

if anything it has to be with my comp overheating or something but if that was the case how come it doesnt happen for every game????

please advise

THANK YOU!!!!!!!

Do you have the most current drivers installed for your video card?

Most current patches for the games in question?

Some older games are not compatible with newer specs. I was playing star trek: Armada the other day and first of all for the sound to work I had to reduce sound acceleration to basic and on top of the sound it gave me a blue screen twice! This was a game designed for windowns 95 and running it on XP didn't go over well.

As Pat said, some older games just won't work on new equipment. I had a game that could run on Vista, but needed a special exe, and it still wouldn't allow a few things to work correctly. There really isn't a way to fix it, unless you want to try to dual boot with Windows 95 ;) (which still wouldn't solve hardware issues).

^^ dual boot with win95? I would run a VM way before that.

What OS are you running. Starcraft and prince of persia always ran good for me on xp.

hi everyone

for some strange reason, every time i play a certain game, after a while my game will just freeze for about a minute until i am able to ALT+TAB / WINDOW KEY back to windows. From there, I CTRL+ALT+DELETE and it says game is running but if i try to go back in game it just freezes again repeating the above process. i tried manually killing the process and to run the game again but it will just freeze, however if i do this the game will just freeze right when i reach the main menu or load back up..the only way i can fix everything is if i restart my computer but that just makes it so i can play for about 15-20 minutes then it will crash again..............

note that this does NOT happen to all games..for example, i can play counter-strike or counter-strike source for 12 hours straight and it wont crash...but if i play another game (even if it is worse graphics/cpu usage wise) it will sometimes crash in 20/30 minutes.. in this case Mass Effect/Prince of Persia/Starcraft crash for me...

If you have any idea please let me know

i hardly doubt it is my computer because my specs are not bad at all.. i have a intel core 2 duo / 2gb / 8800 ultra nvidia ..

if anything it has to be with my comp overheating or something but if that was the case how come it doesnt happen for every game????

please advise

THANK YOU!!!!!!!

Install latest video card drivers (and some times sound card drivers)
Update Direct X
Update game patches. It's a little strange if the game does not need patches these days.

Problem still there, then re-install game and play patches.

Might want to look at your video card or CPU temps as they might be over heating.
You might want to check your video card. I did have a friend that was having contant problems with FEAR, but not other games. It turned out that the power cable going into the video card was shorting out.

sorry for the belated response but i just got back into town

i don't think it has to do with my gpu or processor overheating because if that was the case then wouldn't every game/more advanced games crash on me?

can someone tell me what to check for right now..i actually just reformatted last week so i also dont think its because of too much junk in my computer because i have nothing ~

i just tried playing PoP sands of time and it ran fine for about 30 minutes then all of a sudden the graphics just change to black and inverted colors like strange purple and whatnot then it freezes etc etc...

also, i tried searching for a sands of time patch on pc but it only has 1 which is a nvidia 6800 compatibility patch, and i don't think i need that
let me know what to do right now

thanks!

I downloaded CORE TEMP and here is what it says when I open it:

Processor: Intel Core2Duo e6850 (Conroe)
Frequency: 3000.06 MHz (333.34 x 9.0)

Temperature Readings
Tj. Max: 95*C
Core #0: 33*C
Core #1 35*C

Note that this is when I am just on my desktop with a couple of applications running...is that bad??

--what should i do now?

Also i have Direct x 9.0C

should i download this: Forceware 185.66 XP 32-bit Beta download from Guru3D.com ??????
i have an nvidia 8800 ultra
thx

I just checked CORE TEMP while ingame of POP and it says this:

Temperature Readings
Tj. Max: 95*C
Core #0: 47*C
Core #1 45*C

is this the problem? its overheating?
what can i do to fix this??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back