motherboard problem ? wont boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

smooth280

Beta member
hi all, im new to the forum but i got a problem with my workplace pc. its a gigabyte g-max fa5cb flexatx desktop. its got a ga-8ilfl board in it. the other day i was upgrading memory in it ( pc-2100 ddr ). when i installed the the new dimm, the computer said dumping system memory. i shut the computer down and removed the new dimm. ever since then the comuter is as possesed as the excorsist girl.:confused:

it wont boot correctly, either the gigabyte welcome screen is all distorted, or i get a blank screen. in either instance the keyboard will not function. i have to clear the cmos to get it to semi boot up. it detects the hard drive and the cdrom drive and i have the default cmos setting established. when it goes to verify the vmi data pool it says invaled system disk, replace the disk and freezes up. then i have to again clear the cmos to boot up. i formatted the drive to re-install windows on it ( by the way it had windows xp on it ). i tried to install xp again from the cd and it says boot from cd, then it either gets a exception error or freezes. the only way i can get into dos mode is if i boot with a windows 98 startup disk.

im thinking the bios is corrupt or sumthing ? i wanna try to update the bios and see if this helps at all. i contacted gigabyte to see what they say, but i thought id ask you guys as well. i cant think of anything else to do to correct the problem. i dont think the mobo is shot and i know the hard drive ( its a western digital 40gb ide ) is good. i tested it on my motherboard at home and it works fine.

the chip on the board for the bios says phoenix bios d686.i know its a intel chipset as well. i hope all of this makes sense to you guys, cause im stumped ??? :mad: any help would be much appreciated !!!!

if i wanted to update the bios and since there is no operating system on the pc, how would i go about installing the new bios to the bios chip ? i was reading online on using a boot disk to get into dos mode. then at the command promt a: install the flash bios. i have the flash bios on a floppy, but im not sure how to initaite the program so it will install it from dos mode. im thinking i if correct the bios, then maybe i can fix the problem and be able to install a fresh version of windows.

You can flash the BIOS various ways. If you have the BIOS on a floppy then I would search the contents of the floppy and see what the executbale is for the flash utility. It will be obvious as it will usually be a .exe.... so if it is something like FLASH.EXE and it is in the root directory that is all you would type to get the software launched. To see whats on the disk make sure the floppy is in the drive and type A:\dir it will then display whats on the disk.

Usually most BIOS flashers are bootable on there own...meaning you stick the floppy in and it will boot from it and run the app on its own.

i checked whats on the floppy all it says is flash855 and a f1 file ? i tried to open it and it wont display anything. i think its a readme file ?

all i want to do is get this problem resolved, so i can install windows again. i think the memory dimm was bad. but i dont see how this caused all of these problems ?

Maybe you should have just let it do the physical memory dump....I've had that happen before and so has my dad and usually it doesn't occur again...maybe shutting down during did something to it, but yeah it's a pretty strange problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom