Can I use Acronis to back up my Vista and files on an external HD

Status
Not open for further replies.

fallenapples

In Runtime
I want to use Acronis and/or Norton Ghost 11 to backup my operating system, files to an exteral hard drive so I can use the same files and operating system on my other computer. Can I boot an external hard drvie via boot from hdd on an newly partitioned HD can; can Acronis or Norton Ghost manage these tasks?

p.s can someone give me the rank link so I'll now when I'm on my way to becoming a virgin techie and so fouth and I can show off my detailed specs...and which program do I use for creating those detailed specs; respect guys and girls=]

Hello,

You can use software such as Acronis True Image or Disk Director to backup your partition(s) (operation system and personal data files) to another hard drive. However, you can't boot into the backed up operating system on another system, because the backed up operating system won't have the correct drivers installed for the different hardware devices in the new system. It will fail to boot.

Of course, if the second system has exactly the same hardware devices installed, then theoretically it will work. To add, on rare occasions, you can boot into an OS on a hard drive taken from another system, but usually not without complications.

What OS are you using on your first and second systems? Windows Easy Transfer allows you to '...move the files and settings stored on your PC running Windows 2000, Windows XP, or even Windows Vista to a new PC running Windows Vista.' It can't transfer installed programs, but it can transfer program data files. I haven't used it myself, but it's an option.

What if the hard drive is blank? Can I boot from the external hard drive? I have a compaq intel duo core with xp professional x32, a toshiba satillite A300 with Vista Home premium x64 and an eMac with 1 gb of ram. I'd like to transfer files from my HP Pavillon desktop to my Toshiba is this task performable via external hard drive and using Acronis True Image or Norton Ghost which is best for the task I want to perfom?

Hello,

Unfortunately, it still will not work, as previously described, regardless of whether there is already hard drive in your second system with an existing OS installed (or blank).

As for your second question, Acronis True Image or Norton Ghost are capable copying files, folders or partitions to another hard drive (internal or external). Which program you use is up to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom