Computer Not Responding When Power Button is Pushed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DStr001

Beta member
I built a computer about 5 years ago and it had been working fine. I had recently spent a year away in Brazil leaving my computer behind. I am back and now when I push the power button nothing happens. I get no response and am not sure the cause. I originally thought it might be the switch and took it a part but nothing seems to be amiss.

Key Notes: The power supply hums when the power (the I/O switch on the back of the power supply) is turned on. There is also a green light that shows up on the motherboard. I have a x-blade chasis and the ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe motherboard.

Any ideas on what I should be checking for and how to check it.

I am still relatively new on troubleshooting hardware. I greatly appreciate any help that you can give me. Thank you and best regards.

There is a way to power the motherboard with out pressing the switch... you have to put a metal object between two jumpers (screw driver works well)... but I don't know how to do this I've only heard of it. Try to search around for something like that for your motherboard.

That will tell you if it's the switch or the power supply. I personally think it's the power supply.

If you can get your hands on a cheap PSU then you can switch it out, if that still fails then most likely the motherboard is out. The multimeter is a great choice as well.

Any local shop will have a hard drive tester and will do it for free. You can buy one for about $12.00.

There is a way to power the motherboard with out pressing the switch... you have to put a metal object between two jumpers (screw driver works well)... but I don't know how to do this I've only heard of it. Try to search around for something like that for your motherboard.

That will tell you if it's the switch or the power supply. I personally think it's the power supply.
Try this first. Just take off the power switch header off of the F_Panel, and then touch the 2 power button pins together with a screwdriver or something.

Any local shop will have a hard drive tester and will do it for free. You can buy one for about $12.00.

I hope you mean PSU tester ;).

Try this first. Just take off the power switch header off of the F_Panel, and then touch the 2 power button pins together with a screwdriver or something.

I hope you mean PSU tester ;).
Yup thats what I ment. Must have been tired.

If it's not the power switch, and it's not the power supply, then your pc is probably in 'protection' mode and needs to be reset.

Unplug the power cord, take out the CMOS battery, press the power button on your pc, put the CMOS battery back in and plug the pc in again. Try turning it on again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom