Power cord question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anamal

Beta member
Hi, my name is Natalie and I've owned my laptop for almost a year now.

It's a really nice laptop, but I don't know how much it's worth because I got it used from a friend.

Anyway, recently the battery power seemed to lessen and I didn't think anything of it because I rarely use it without it being plugged in. I guess those few times were much, though. However, it started acting really slow. I took several minutes to shut down or log off, and I couldn't open any programs. The Internet (and everything I browsed) seemed to work fine. I couldn't open basic programs like Paint, WMM, WMP, or even Notepad or Solitaire. Could this have to do with my battery??? (Oh, and every time I logged onto my screen, it opened a new folder automatically... :freak: )

My battery actually seems to be working fine, IMO. I think it's the cord or the place the cord plugs into. Something seems loose. This is what I think happened to my old computer, actually. If I get it working, no more lap for me! Flat surfaces from now on!

Today, I was desperate and shoved the cord as hard as I could into the laptop. It actually turned on! After shutting down my sister's programs (she was the last one on it when the computer suddenly turned off.) I turned it off and decided to ask some questions on here.

Does anyone know what it could be? I don't want to buy a new cord only to find out the problem is within the computer, itself.

Please and thanks. The Internet is my life. LOL :happy:

Sounds like the power connector on the board could be broke; would have to be sent in for repair unless you're comfortable with cracking it open and resoldering it yourself. If its under a year, you may be able to send it in for warranty repair still.

As for it being slow, well that could be different things as well. Have you scanned for any viruses lately? Can always go through our spyware guide: Osiris Spyware Guide

Thank you so much for your reply. :)

I really don't know what the parts are called, but the prong that slides into the cord when you plug it in isn't broken, I think it's the area around it - that holds it in place? I believe that's what you described.

I scan for viruses like it's my job. LOL If there's anything I'm good at, it's virus scanning and the Internet. The hardware of the computer is beyond me. :p

However, and this is only personal speculation, I'm thinking my battery isn't 100% anymore? And since it was running off of low battery/cord power before it broke, it wouldn't load things correctly? I'll definitely run some more scans when it starts working again, just to be sure.

I don't think I could fix my laptop, BUT my dad was thinking about doing it, but someone talked him out of it. Though, if I tell him if he feels comfortable doing it, maybe he can give it a shot. What do I have to lose? It's already broken. Haha And he's good with this kind of stuff. My laptop won't explode or something.

Thanks again, I'll let you know how things work soon.

What do I have to lose? It's already broken.

Your warranty? :p And if the manufacturer go wrong with it, they have to give you a new one. If your father goes wrong with it, it's a lot more expensive to replace.

Srsly...

I DON'T HAVE A WARRANTY!!!

I got it used from a friend. And even though it's a very nice laptop, it's surely a couple of years old.

Okay???

Srsly...

I DON'T HAVE A WARRANTY!!!

I got it used from a friend. And even though it's a very nice laptop, it's surely a couple of years old.

Okay???

Sheesh, okay - I did read your OP to check beforehand, and I still don't see any mention about a warranty, and getting it used shouldn't change the warranty status provided you get receipts and such with it (evidently you didn't, I'm just saying).

I apologise for this off-topic reply.

OP just said that you had it less than a year and that you got it used from a friend (no mention to when they got it).

Now back to your problem at hand... Are you talking about where the AC cord from the wall plugs into the inverter (large block object on the cord)? Or the actual end that plugs into the laptop? just trying to clarify here.

Sounds like the power connection is loose on the board. You can try re-soldering it. But do not be surprised is the same problem happen again in a few month time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom