my computer freezes periodically

Status
Not open for further replies.
curious, did you have freezing problems when you were running windows 95/ 98/ ME/ 2000 on this machine?

i have had win 98 and then there was a similar problem but the pc rebooted by itself at sometimes i managed to fix the problem but eventually, times change and ive upgraded to win xp. ive had win xp about 2 years now and without any problems but the freezing thing is hunting me about 7 months now. ive tried to play a MP3 disk in safe mode but the PC gave me the following error:

DirectSound output v2.2.10 error
Bad DirectSound driver. Please install proper drivers or select another device in configuration.
Error code: 8878000A

regards
Tipsi

ok, an update: just when i tried to reboot the pc from safe mode so that i could DL and install the latest DX drivers, The PC froze again, so it has the ability of frozing in safe mode also. and the thing with the DX drivers is as follows: after i`ve installed win xp pro corp onto this PC ive tried to update it right away. but the PC froze when i had DL-d some files. the PC froze when tried to install Office. I have also had this frozing thing when tried to update the DX drivers with other updates from microsoft long ago. so i thought im not gonna do this cuz "its no use" as its always freezing. i will try to update these drivers now as you have asked me to do. lets hope it wont freeze this time LOL.

regards
Tipsi

These problems are from hardware failure. Your motherboard may be slowing dying on you. I would replace the whole computer. From the specs it looks like you needed to do that many years ago. Not comforting advice, but it doesn't seem like something that can be fixed.

thank you ekÆsine and others for your help and support! i have thought about replacing the pc myself too. LOL. well, thanks a lot anyways. this thread can be closed now.

and TheMajor: i have formatted this pc quit a few times LOL. and without any help. thanx for your help too.

regards
Tipsi

TheMajor said:
i would format before getting a new mobo...
BTW...look at my comp, its 7 years old and never freezes :D

Not trying to be a smart A, but I did not know that 133 ram went back that far

Tipsi it could also be your electricity causing your power supply to be unstable and damaging your motherboard. I would check that before you do your shopping. if you have spikes and brownouts that would cause havoc on your computer. Maybe you should invest in a line conditioner/ line filter.

It could also be as simple as a bad power supply. see if you can remove a power supply from another computer and test it on this computer to see if it fixes the problem. or buy a power supply for testing

Tipsi said:
thank you ekÆsine and others for your help and support! i have thought about replacing the pc myself too. LOL. well, thanks a lot anyways. this thread can be closed now.

and TheMajor: i have formatted this pc quit a few times LOL. and without any help. thanx for your help too.

regards
Tipsi

Don"t close it out yet, I don't see it fixed yet. When I was talking about the added sound card, that was an example. on board could do the same thing. disable it in bios. Do what is always said to see if it is hardware. unplug drives or anything else you don't need to operate. if it fixes it start connecting one at a time to find the culprit. who knows maybe it's the hardrive. there are diagnostic programs to try, I know a free one if you are interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom