Building First Computer; Advice Needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JudgeJimmie

Solid State Member
Hi, I am new to these forums, as I found it by a simple google search trying to find help with my First Computer Build. I am 18, and headed for college next year, and I want a nice desktop computer to go with my iBook G4, that I am using now.

I have some knowledge of computers, but I am very new to building them myself and the hardware required within them.

I would like the computer to be fairly powerful. I am going to Michigan Technological University and I would like my computer to be able to run engineering software easily. I also like to do 3D animating and video editing. I am not a huge PC gamer, as I prefer console, so the gaming side of the PC isn't really needed. However, I don't know how much more making the PC able to play games well would cost.

I would like the price of this system to be reasonable, however, I want the computer to last a long time, so I don't want to cut corners. I don't have an exact dollar amount, but I would like to keep it around $1000. I am building this computer as a graduation present, so I will be able to scrounge the money I have saved, with whatever I am able to get at my graduation.

Anyways, on to the hardware that I have researched and thought would be good so far. This is hardly based on my knowledge of computers, and more on quick put together guides. I am not sure if any of this hardware will work for the build I have described above.

Motherboard.
Intel® Desktop Board DP45SG - $140

CPU
2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor - $140 (I'm not really sure about CPU's but I think I may like a better one than this. Cost dependent I suppose.)

RAM
Seems like 4GB is a safe number to have, but not really sure - (Price?)

Graphic Card
Radeon HD 4830 - $100 (Is this to much for a light Gaming Type PC. Maybe stay with it just because in college, I may get into gaming more. I can always upgrade Graphic Cards I believe.)

Hard Drive
500 GB - $60

CD/DVD Drive/Burner
Again, not really sure. I do like to burn a lot of movies and do video editing, and with that requires burning. I also burn a lot of CD's for Cd players and the like. - (Price?)

Case
Antec Sonata case - $100

Sound Card
I do not know anything about these

Moniter
Haven't looked into it, but recommendations would be appreciated.

Thank you for looking at this thread, and for any help you provide. I do not know if what I have suggested will work for what I want to do, and am in desperate need of some help in this matter. Thank you again.

5) Keep Things Legal
Any discussion, links, or information on hacking, cracking, serial numbers, pirating, warez, or any other illegal matters is not allowed. This includes talks of Emulators and Torrents. Discussion of legal torrents such as Linux distrobutions is fine. But anything that is copyrighted, pay per use or covered by any sort of copyright is forbidden. The links provide the information needed.

Computer Forums - Announcements in Forum : Building, Buying, Upgrading for General PCs

It is currently illegal to run OSX on a non apple computer.

We would be happy to help you build a computer for linux and windows.

Thank you for understanding.

ok, yes I would still like help. Thank you for editing my post instead of removing and or banning me. I was unaware that making a non-apple computer run OSX was illegal.

Around $1000. I don't need high-end everything, and would like to go as cheap as I can while still having a good build that will last me a few years while at college.

cpu and windows vista
Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

motherboard
Newegg.com - BIOSTAR TFORCE TA790GX 128M AM2+/AM2 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards

GPU
Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100265HDMI Radeon HD 4830 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

ram
Newegg.com - G.SKILL PI Black 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

psu
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-450VX 450W ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies

hard drive
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

dvd burner
Just about anything spend around $20

Case
Antec Sonata case - $100 Personal preference if you like this case go for it. I like the antec 300.

Sound card.
If you do not require top notch sound onboard sound will work just fine.

that puts you at $765 with $50 in mir which leaves you around $300 for monitor keyboard / mouse and speakers if needed.

What size monitor would you be looking for?

You will need to research if this build will fulfill your needs.

I think I would like to keep my build a little more intel based.

Would that Triple Core at 2.8 GHz be better than say a Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 - 2.40GHz, 8MB Cache, 1066MHz FSB, Kentsfield, Quad-Core. I read that more cores are better for programs like photoshop and video editors, while less cores higher performance is better for games. They are both around the same price.
I didn't know what the "Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit for System Builders - OEM" was or what it does really.

I realize that if I get a different kind of CPU I will also have to look to see if the motherboard you suggested is compatible.

Intel is fine. You can get a little more bang for your buck with amd.

More cores is better for multitasking.

In the build I have the motherboard will not work with an intel cpu. Everything else will. I will take a peek for and intel quad cpu and motherboard for you.

Microsoft vista is the operating system. If you already have a copy you will not need it.

The Gigabyte GA-EP45C-DS3R - motherboard looked good and is compatible with that chip I pointed out. I also am looking at the more expensive Intel Core i7 920 Quad Core Processor. Do you think it would be worthwhile for me to look into these more expensive Processors?

Edit: GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard, looks like a good motherboard for that second chip, but I think that this combo may be getting slightly out of my price range.

Edit 2: Looking at some more reviews, it does look like the Q6600 would be better for dollar paid than the i7 920. Also if I decide to overclock, it looks like the Q6600 is very nice.

The i7 920 is a great cpu. check my sig. :)

You will have to bump up your budget a bit to make it work but it is great.

You would need different mb and ram if you went i7.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom