2x 7800gt -> 9600 gso 760mb

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeffK91

In Runtime
Hey everyone. I was just wondering how big of a performance increase I'll get from switching a 7800GT SLI setup to a 9600 GSO 760MB. I don't game as much as I used to, but Fry's has it for $40 right now after rebate: FRYS.com | PNY

I don't know if the cards are just deteriorating, or maybe it's because I switched from a 19" 1280X1024 monitor to a 21.5" 1920X1080 monitor, but I am getting excessive screen tearing/flickering on just about any game I play, even when I turn down the resolution.

A huge difference.. back then 7800GT SLI wasn't exactly that mature, plus at that resolution it didn't help anything b/c its so low..

I'd definitely upgrade to that 9600GSO, its a good jump, and the 768MB is a bit Overkill for ur resolution.. but if you want to max out games that hog a lot of GPU RAM that'd do good.. (ur cards are most likely dust clogged or dying)

Great! And just before I buy, is this the best value for my money out there right now? And is my power supply sufficient enough? I have a feeling having two video cards really sucked a lot of power, resulting in poorer performance. Just to give you some perspective, I play games like TF2, Left 4 Dead, and some EverQuest 2 on max res.

You should be good.. for $40 today, you'd get cards that are barely upgrades, if not downgrades from your current setup..

If you have Warranty on those 7800GT's, see if you can get them RMA'ed though. EVGA is pretty cool about that, and you might score some new cards.. but buy the 9600GSO's.. because you might be able to sell them later on for more than $40

You should be good.. for $40 today, you'd get cards that are barely upgrades, if not downgrades from your current setup..

Sorry, I don't know what you mean by this?

And I kinda doubt I could get my cards RMA'd... they're pushing on four years old now.

Btw, I plan to only buy one card. I've gone down the SLI road and have been thoroughly disappointed, though it may just be those cards.

Should I be worried about bottleneck? My CPU is quite old, and it's actually at stock 2.2GHz despite what my sig says. And it does work with my motherboard, right?

Is it compatible with my mobo? I think the 939 is ancient by today's standards, though I'm not sure if it matters with graphics cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom