new hard drive installed, blank screen no bios

Status
Not open for further replies.

travr6

Beta member
I have a Compaq Presario sr2020nx.

The hard drive was making an awful noise for a few weeks and then it just quit working. I ordered a new Western Digital 500GB Caviar hard drive and installed it.
Now when I turn the computer on nothing happens. I just have a blank screen. No bios screen appears and nothing happens when i put cd's in the rom drives.

Both roms light up but nothing happens. The cpu fan comes on. The monitor light stays orange as if the computer is off. When I unhook the monitor cable it immediately turns green and the monitor kicks on showing cable unplugged. When I plug the cable back in it goes straight back to an orange light and blank screen.

Any clue what this might be? Bad Bios? need a new battery? did I fry the mother board? What should I check or try? Why will the BIOS screen not come on?

I have changed hard drives before and normally I just install it and put the Windows XP cd in the drive and format it.

no clue what is going on here.

Have you tried clearing CMOS? Unplug the computer from the wall, and press the power switch to drain the remaining power in the PSU. Remove the small button battery from the motherboard for about 2 minutes or so. Replace the battery, and plug the computer back in. You'll have to re-enter any custom BIOS options you had changed previously.

Yeah I tried removing the battery.

I also switched the jumper settings to reset the cmos.

It was set on 2-3 and I switched it to 1-2 ans restarted the computer. Still nothing. I switched them back and rebooted, still nothing.

I unplugged the hard drive and rebooted and still nothing.

The Bios screen should show up regardless if there is a hard drive in the computer correct?

Ok I am an idiot.

I forgot to put in the other memory stick. Now that I have that in I get the bios screen but it still does not read the cd roms. Iwill mess around a bit and see if I can figure it out.

Ah, yeah, don't worry, I've done that too lol.

Make sure the master/slave (if IDE drives) are setup correctly, and the cables are plugged in tightly.

I have a similar issue.. I put in a new hard drive on a Sony Vaio all in one computer, I did not change the jumpers or anything when I changed the hard drive. When I turn on the computer I get a black screen is saying to reboot and select proper boot devise or insert boot media in selected boot devise and press a key.

I put in Sony recovery disk but get an error saying cannot determine partition setting. I'm not able to get to BIOS settings or anything else, what did I do wrong? Is there a way to fix this?

You have to install an OS on the hard drive before you can boot off of it. THe HDD you installed I'm assuming replaced the old one, and is blank. You need to get a disc of the OS your computer has, and use the product key that's on the COA label on the side of your case.

If I put a disk of the OS in the disk drive will it read it?

I understand Sony puts hidden partitions on their computers, I'm not sure if there's a way to get around that.

As long as the disc is bootable then yes it should read it fine.

The Hidden partition thing is only relative to the old drive, which you removed.

I have a similar issue.. I put in a new hard drive on a Sony Vaio all in one computer, I did not change the jumpers or anything when I changed the hard drive. When I turn on the computer I get a black screen is saying to reboot and select proper boot devise or insert boot media in selected boot devise and press a key.

I put in Sony recovery disk but get an error saying cannot determine partition setting. I'm not able to get to BIOS settings or anything else, what did I do wrong? Is there a way to fix this?[/QUOTE

Actually its not polite to hijack a post, start a new post for your problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom