Is it good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AzuShika

Solid State Member
Can you guys tell me if my comp is good or not?
And what I can do to make it run better.
I'm still quite a nab at this but I bought a fairly good comp of a friend. Well I'm pretty sure its good :/
If theres a better way to get the specs just tell :)

Specs:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6400+ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT (Approx Total Mem: 2.5GB
8GB DDR2 RAM
Thermaltake Case
Thermaltake Quarius III Water Cooling Unit.
Motherboard: Asus Crosshair II Formula (I think. Not sure if I'm reading the right stuff )
Gah not sure where to find half the stuff I need D:

Welcome To TF! I think the word your looking for is noob? Anyway,
The answer really depends on how much you paid for that rig, Since it is second hand i would have not paid more than $350-400 for it. That cooling unit seems to be very old, in fact i'd hadn't even heard of it before. 8gb of ram is really unnecessary unless this was some kind of workstation. The 8800gt is ok, but by todays standards it's more of a low-end gaming card. This computer will serve you well for light gaming and office use but don't expect to play newest games on high settings.

You should have came on here first, we could have made you a better system, unless you got this uber cheap.

are you running vista 64bit or 32bit? I would assume 64bit but wanted to check.

Can you post your motherboard model?
If you do not know you can use cpuz to find out. CPUID

What power supply do you have?

what is your budget for upgrades?

He'd better be running 64-bit otherwise hes wasting over half his ram. That reminds me, the 8800gt is only 512mb, the other 1.
5gb or is probably shared graphics memory. (memory used from your hdd to assist when your card has reached its buffer size)

well the mobo is pretty decent, also the ram, as long as you got it for a decent price, its not a bad build.

with that motherboard you could do a couple of things.

1) upgrade gpu
2) upgrade cpu
here is the list of compatible cpu's for your board.
ASUSTeK Computer Inc.-Support-
cpu's of note are the phenomII x3 and x4

Most importantly how much do you have to spend?

At this time I probably wouldn't spend much more than $500 but that won't be for a little while tho. I will keep suggestions in mind though.

If possible has anyone got any suggestions on boosting it on the software side of things, ie. not adding or changing hardware at the moment?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom