upgrading graphics card for dell d620

Status
Not open for further replies.
I checked into the laptop for kicks and the video can be upgraded but it requires installing a new motherboard. The board itself is around $100 and up on ebay. It's not very expensive but you have to essentially rebuild almost your entire laptop to install it and that's a tall order if you haven't worked inside laptops much. Unless you're pretty skilled in this kind of service I'd agree your money is better spent on a new laptop.

I don't know how easily you can find workstation graphics in that price range. Dell's Vostro series might have an option for it, off the top of my head.

I appreciate your interest. So, $100 for the board, $150 (est.) for the video card, $150 for the job (since I admit that I'm not experienced in laptop surgery- the most I've done is upgrade RAM), and $70 for shipping... and we're talking CDN dollars... that's well into the $5-700 dollar range just to upgrade a lousy video card...I'd have to agree, again.

It's a fine little laptop, mid you- it came with a core2duo and 2 Gs of ram. Not quite up to my standards of advanced engineering though.

I've seen other modelling/ sim recommendations here- they're mostly PCs. I prefer laptop mobility- part of the point of embarking on an engineering career is getting outside the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom