Memory Confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

lesha

Beta member
Hey guys, I'm baffled...

So I own a Lenovo X40 laptop. I was thinking...maybe i should see if i can upgrade my memory. So I went to Crucial and 4AllMemory websites and I got different results:

Computer Memory Upgrades for Every Computer and Camera | 4 All Memory

http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner...884FE731D926C3

Then, I checked My Computer->Properties and saw that I currently have a gig of ram installed. However, when I opened up my computer, I saw only one memory module that said 512 MB on it.

Now, i'm pretty sure that my X40 has only one memory slot, but I have no idea what is going on here....

4AllMemory seems to think i have two 512MB modules installed.
Crucial seems to think that I have one 1GB module installed.
Windows seems to think that I have 1GB of total ram.
However, I have only one memory module that says: 512MB on it. (Btw, it's Samsung PC2700s-25331-A0)

Please help... :confused:

Usually laptops will have two ram slots. One on the motherboard and one that you can change.

Most likely you have 512 on the board and 512 that could be exchanged.

PC2700 DDR SDRAM 200-pin non-parity SoDIMM
Note: PC2100 is supported at 266MHz (*) 333MHz MAX:1280MB
Your motherboard has some integrated memory built into it, apparently. It depends on which mobo/system board you have: Lenovo Support & downloads - System service parts - ThinkPad X40

You can replace your memory module with a maximum of one stick of a gig (1GB) DDR PC-2700 or PC-2100 SO-DIMM.

Usually laptops will have two ram slots. One on the motherboard and one that you can change.

Most likely you have 512 on the board and 512 that could be exchanged.

that sucks :( so i'm maxed out at a gig...with crappy pc2700. Thanks for replying though.

Hef is right, and from what i've read it can only read a max of 1.25 GB of ram, which means you really can't upgrade much more. Best bet would be to purchase a 1 gig stick all-be-it you are going to be waisting 256 mb as your laptop won't be able to utilize it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom