Graphics card Rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is enough. This is to be a civil discussion or it will be closed. Calling people n00bs or lashing out at them cause you do not agree with their opinion doesnt give you the right to violate the very first rule of the site. I have cleaned up several posts. Now keep it civil or more action will be taken.

Oh don't worry I am getting a 4890 soon, and in a few months unless a "5000" series or something is out, I plan to CrossFireX it with another 4890, (Or a "5000" series if it's out and affordable)

I read the reviews, I watched the benchmarks I laughed at idiots that gave reviews that were biased and I looked at price VS performance.

Overall the 4890 hit tops for me, however, it's mostly because of the Future Proofing that can be done, or should be done.

Yes the 295 or whatever is a beast, and pricey to boot, and is currently (or was when I read the reviews) the unbeatable card, however unless your willing to dish out that money for 1 GPU just to be "Top System" for a month or whatever.. there's no real big reason to buy it.

In some cases the 4890 out performed the 285 as well, which was a slight surprise to me really, and in most cases it was on par or better then the new "in between" card Nvid released as competition, however last I read the 4890 was still $20 cheaper in price, so for less then 10% gain you spend more then 10% to get "better" so I stuck with the 4890.

Overclocking on this beast too... people have hit the 1Ghz barrier on stock cooling. Although the performance gains for these is roughly about 3%, it can be done, and the benefits may be more drastic with a dual set up.

4890 is definitely the way to go if your on a budget and need a new card, it WILL play all the games out there right now, and MOST of them on cranked out max settings. Crysis as always continues to be a Nvid enhanced game, so ATI cards have a challenge with it. (of course these reviews are based on modest resolutions, if you have a HUGE resolution setting then of course these will change for you, I plan to play at 1920x1080 (or similar) and so I really paid attention to this Resolution range more then any other.)

I can tell you have done your homework and are making an informed decision. Good on you!
The 4890 definitely has a good price/performance ratio and is highly recommended. The HD 5000 cards should be coming out in July I believe and the 5870 is supposed to be twice as fast as the 4870.

Just a headups, I think its the wrong section, but the XFX GTS 250 is only 85$, it is 135$ on the website, but when you add it to your cart it is only 85$, I may plan to SLI this later considering the high rank and best bang for your buck (85$ :D) Not to mention it comes free with COD:WaW

EDIT: Didnt add site, its newegg.com
link here
Newegg.com - XFX GS250XYDFC GeForce GTS 250 512MB Core Edition 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Just a headups, I think its the wrong section, but the XFX GTS 250 is only 85$, it is 135$ on the website, but when you add it to your cart it is only 85$, I may plan to SLI this later considering the high rank and best bang for your buck (85$ :D) Not to mention it comes free with COD:WaW

EDIT: Didnt add site, its newegg.com
link here
Newegg.com - XFX GS250XYDFC GeForce GTS 250 512MB Core Edition 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

its listed like that because they added a game to it, and you get charged for the game, making it back to its original price.

The GTS250 is a 9800gtx+. I don't recommend buying one. its just a rebranded G92.

but if it was just $85, it would not be a bad buy.

The GTS250 is a 9800gtx+. I don't recommend buying one. its just a rebranded G92.

I mean its $85 though.. that's still pretty solid even if its just a 9800GTX+ the HD 4850 is still a bit more expensive, and even the slightly less powerful HD 4830 is $20 cheaper and the OEM game could be sold for... $30-$50 ;)

I'd say if you need a cheap upgrade.. that's not bad

It is, but I just don't see the point in buying an old card.
If a card performs good, then thats really the only deciding factor. Doesn't matter what card you get, soon enough it will be old too. It comes down to performance, a 4850 is getting pretty old to and the 4870 for that matter, but they are still rec. over the 4890 a lot because they perform well and the price of the new cards cannot justify and upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom