Overclocking i7 920

Status
Not open for further replies.

insane84722

In Runtime
I got my mb rma back today, so far so good on this one. Does anyone have the bios figures for an 3.6~3.8ghz overclock with turbo mode on. I've found several ways to do it with turbo off, but not on. Thanks.

Doesn't it depend on the individual setup/chip? you should just start raising the clock speeds until it requires a higher voltage... then step up each bit by bit until you get a stable clock.. obivously needing to keep a close eye on temps...

What motherboard do you have?

Turbo mode just increases your multiplier from 20 to 21. 3600/21=171.4

A 3.6-3.8 clock shouldn't be hard on a 920.

What mobo do you have and do you have an aftermarket HSF?

What is your cpu vcore? You might also want to check what your ram is running at. It is pretty easy to push your ram too high since it runs simply off of a multiplier from the bclk so you might forget about it.

Also, turbo mode doesn't make an overclock any better at the same speeds. Like slaymate said, it just increases the cpu multiplier from 20 to 21

lol ppl dont understand that we cant help them with no info. its like tryin to work out a math problem with no equation.

Sorry for the lack on information, it was a really long day.

As for the motherboard, it is an Evga x58 X3 SLI. I have 6gb OCZ ram at 1600 7-7-7-24. The BIOS is at default, so im not sure what they are running at right now.

The current vcore is at 1.294v according to CPU-Z. I do have an after market heatsink, it is the XIGMATEK Rifle.

If turbo mode won't help any or much at all, that is fine. What about hyper-threading, does it help any? Is it worth having enabled?

Thanks for all the help.

Hyperthreading can help stability if turned off, but dont bother unless your trying to reach very high speeds >4Ghz, you will gain more from having it on otherwise.

Just read a few guides on i7 overclocking. Then go and up the BCLK buy a few Mhz each time, check your ram speed isnt to high for your timings, run intel burn test and monitor temps. Then reapeat. When it starts failing you will want to increase the vcore and uncore, possibly a few other things depending on your board (im not fimiliar with it).

Just always check temps with RealTemp or something similar. Around 80-85C under load is where it starts getting dodgy for i7 chips.

You can't really just get someone elses settings and plug them in. It MIGHT work, but you have to realise, every setup is different. More importantly every chip is different - even though the are all made the same, some do better, some do worse (thats why the i7 920, 940, 965 are all the same chip - 940s are just the ones that do better than the 920s in testing).

Thanks. I've been trying all day, I don't know what im missing but I can't make any progress. I can get it to 3.6 but about 10 sec into prime95 I get a blue screen with 0x00000124 meaning something with cpu vtt. What do I need to do when I get this? Im still new to overclocking, especially the i7. All day and nothing.

poke around on the EVGA forums, there are a couple guides posted by the mods on how to overclock the x58.

Post up what settings you are using and maybe we can see where you are missing something

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom