Graphics card Rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.
NOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo no no no n noooooooooo noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo its 295 vs 4890

The 285 beats it, the 295 spanks it just to embarris it LOL the 295 is also a duel GPU so it's not really a fair comparison but if they come out with a 4890 x2 that would be a fight for first place with the 295.

Dauntae

did read some of the pages, not sure if this was covered, where does the new 4770 fall on this list?

they say this is almost as good as a 4850, and for the price its listed, i would rather get it over the 4850, but thats not what this list is about, its about raw performance.

so where does the 4770 fall?

Everyone please, its spelled DUAL not DUEL. The gpus in a gtx295 aren't fighting each other.

The 4890 is good, but its not that good iamme. The gtx295 would crush it. The 4890 is closer to the gtx280.

This thread is about raw performance, not price/performance. We all know the 4890 is a great value, but that's beside the point. In this thread we rank the cards on performance alone. That way members can see in a no fuss cut and dry fashion which cards are faster than others. Also after price drops and discontinuation the price/performance thing can be difficult if not impossible to maintain. That is a call that you make when recommending a build.

Of course the 295 is faster than a 4890. It's two G200 GPU's vs one RV790 GPU.

The 295 also costs more than double the 4890. So you can get two 4890's for less than a 295, and crossfire them. That would be a fair comparision.
You can't compare gpu ghz directly. Nvidia cards always do much more with much less. The cards perform even closer when overclocked; The difference gets down to about 2 titles out of the 57.
He's not trying to compare GHZ directly. He's just stating that the 4890's can be clocked by higher percentages.
Also, Nvidia's cards run their shaders at higher clocks than the core. They need to; they don't have as many shaders as ATI cards do. So ATI's GPU's actually do more per clock.

4890 is a great card so far as I can see, Been recommending it to a few people thinking about builds, Just nobody wants to spend any money.....:freak: crossfire would be a nice setup IMHO and I'm not too crazy about the multi GPU cards either so I stepped away from the 295 and got a decent price on the 285... this one maxes out everything on my 22" anyway so nothing to worry about for me...well until I get a new TV then I may upgrade to a SLI with another 285

Dauntae

I wonder how well 4890's on water would overclock, I suppose you would need a volt mod for significant increases over the air max clocks.

to other news, the 4770 needs to be entered just under the 4850 512mb, and just above the 9800gtx+.

and yeah, unless you work at gskill it is spelt dual.

Oh don't worry I am getting a 4890 soon, and in a few months unless a "5000" series or something is out, I plan to CrossFireX it with another 4890, (Or a "5000" series if it's out and affordable)

I read the reviews, I watched the benchmarks I laughed at idiots that gave reviews that were biased and I looked at price VS performance.

Overall the 4890 hit tops for me, however, it's mostly because of the Future Proofing that can be done, or should be done.

Yes the 295 or whatever is a beast, and pricey to boot, and is currently (or was when I read the reviews) the unbeatable card, however unless your willing to dish out that money for 1 GPU just to be "Top System" for a month or whatever.. there's no real big reason to buy it.

In some cases the 4890 out performed the 285 as well, which was a slight surprise to me really, and in most cases it was on par or better then the new "in between" card Nvid released as competition, however last I read the 4890 was still $20 cheaper in price, so for less then 10% gain you spend more then 10% to get "better" so I stuck with the 4890.

Overclocking on this beast too... people have hit the 1Ghz barrier on stock cooling. Although the performance gains for these is roughly about 3%, it can be done, and the benefits may be more drastic with a dual set up.

4890 is definitely the way to go if your on a budget and need a new card, it WILL play all the games out there right now, and MOST of them on cranked out max settings. Crysis as always continues to be a Nvid enhanced game, so ATI cards have a challenge with it. (of course these reviews are based on modest resolutions, if you have a HUGE resolution setting then of course these will change for you, I plan to play at 1920x1080 (or similar) and so I really paid attention to this Resolution range more then any other.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom