Building a computer-Could Use some help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nick0530

Solid State Member
Well my computer is really bad for gaming atm, and I plan on building a new one come the end of May. I picked out a few things I want to build it with, and need to run it by people that are pro's at this. Now I only really play World of Warcraft and Counter-Strike:Source. Also, I'm kinda tight on money so I can't spend too much.
So far I was thinking this:
-Intel Core 2 Quad CPU
-Nvidia Geforce 9800 GT (Because I already own this)
-4 gigs of ram
-nForce 730i Motherboard
-Western Digital RE WD4000ABYS Hard Drive
A computer case, and DVD burner.

I'm not sure what power supply I should get though, which is the main reason I came here. I'm trying to keep it $60ish or less, if that's possible for a good gaming computer.
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks!

$60 for a complete gaming computer... not sure even the guys on here can make that happen... 600 ish would be much more feasible..

Well for that system your not gonna need anything huge at all, at the same time $60 for a reputable brand isn't a lot. both of these are good, corsair is great although i would be temped to go for the pc power cooling, one of the best brands in power supplies.

Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-400CX 400W ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies
Newegg.com - PC Power & Cooling Silencer PPCS420X 420W ATX12V 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

this Antec basiq looks ok aswell, generally antec psu's are good, the basiq series is made by FOrtron so it isn't bad either
Newegg.com - Antec Basiq BP500U 500W Continuous Power ATX12V Version 2.01 Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

What is your total budget for everything? We could probably put together a better rig than that for you

Around $600ish.
And I looked at the PC Power Cooling One earlier, before this, and it was actually the exact same one hah!
But yeah, that would be fine.

if your going for a nvidia mobo then i would suggest a 750i over the 740i,

Newegg.com - EVGA 123-YW-E175-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 750i SLI FTW ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Newegg.com - Intel Core2 Quad Q9400 2.66GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

Newegg.com - OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 22X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 22X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe - CD / DVD Burners

He should go wit ha e8500 opposed to a core 2 quad, and get a decent p45 mobo, like the I45 which hold to record for fsb overclock. Don't get a nvidia chipset, there are really not that good at all, p35/45 or intel chipsets in general are much better. The only reason i would recommend a nforce chippy would be for sli, thankfully now intel have sli and crossfire on x58.

and go with the PSU mentioned above, either will be fine. as far as a case, it;s really up to you one good case is the antec three hundred,

Newegg.com - Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

He should go with a 8500 as opposed to a core 2 quad. and pickup a nice p45 liek the I45 by biostar. I wouldn't get a nvidia chipset as they limit your overclocks and they usually have more problems with them. I would only rec. a nforce chippy for sli on a socket T setup, thankfully now intel had made xfire and sli on the x58 chipset.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom