wireless PCI LAN card blocking part of graphics card fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Santuzzo

Daemon Poster
Hi,

I just installes wireless internet on my new PC (this was quite an advantage, I have a thread about that in the network forum), and I only had one PCI slot free on my motherboard. that free PCI slot is right under the graphics card (Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 4870) , so the installed wireless LAN card is now RIGHT UNDER the graphics card and covering about one fourth of its fan.

Should this be a problem or become a problem somehow? There is absolutely no other way on my motherboard to install these items, the GPU is on the only spot where it can go and like I said, there was only one regular PCI left that'free, all the other PCI's are PCIe slots.

Could this cuase damage to the graphics card and/or the wireless PCI LAN card?

Thanks in advance,

Lars

No it isn't goign to damage the graphics card directly. It may cause some heating issues - so pay attention to that. There will be less airflow for the graphic card's fan to use to cool off the GPU.

Just depends, the only sure bet is just to watch and see if your computer starts to freeze / overheat after installation of the wireless card. This COULD cause damage to the graphics card, but probably won't (as it will shut down before the tempurature because too great to damage the card).

You should be using an ethernet cable if you have the option (depending on your network setup). You will have faster data transfer speeds, a more consistent connection, and you won't have to worry about the heating issue with your graphics card.

Thank you very much for your reply.

Yes, at this point I am considering differnet options.
Either gettign a USB wireless adapter, or going back to a cable connecting to the router.

What would you think of the USB adapter solution?

Can't say honestly. I know from a convenience standpoint they are better than the PCI card ones. I also know that sometimes it becomes an issue of available USB ports since EVERYTHING uses USB ports now.

From a signal standpoint i don't know which would be better. It would be hard to tell as every model is probably a little different - so to compare you'd have to have a G PCI card and a G USB adapter that are the same model. I'll have to wait for someone that has experience comment on that one.

Thanks again!

So, in general when it comes to wireless versus wired, would you say to connect to the router by LAN cable would still be the best solution for a desktop PC?
Definately the best solution - faster data transfer (at least at this point it is, maybe in the future it won't be), more reliable connection, and a more secure connection. I realize wireless is more convenient, but if i have the option i would always use an ethernet cable over a wireless connection.

Definately the best solution - faster data transfer (at least at this point it is, maybe in the future it won't be), more reliable connection, and a more secure connection. I realize wireless is more convenient, but if i have the option i would always use an ethernet cable over a wireless connection.

OK, thanks for your input! :)

I will look for a good durable and long cable.

I don't think anybody's been able to crack WPA2 encryption. you'd need a lot more computing power than any PC has yet.
but it is more reliable to go wired.

Actually, WPA2 has been cracked. AND you could do it too! Read about it here

Obviously with a strong enough password you'll still be safe, but that's a 'general' password rule for both wired and wireless connections.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom