Upgrade? Am I going to notice/experience a real difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rusty-The-Cat

Beta member
I have an older, high-end, AMD system:
AMD FX-60 (socket 939) OC'd to 2.8Ghz with ASUS A8N-SLI Premium M.B.
3G of Corsair CMX1024-3200C2PT DDR memory OC'd to 430Mhz
eVGA 8800GTS 512mb (G92) video card (stock)
BTW, monitor is at 1280x1024 (max.)

I am wondering about a change to an INTEL i7 920 @ 2.66Ghz with an ASUS M.B. and 4G of DDR3 memory. I'll upgrade the video card when the new series comes out.

#1, will it be worth it, will I experience a change in speed?
#2, will there be a significant increase in the FPS for gaming, or not?
#3, after selling my M.B., CPU and Memory will the extra $200-$300 be worth it?

I would appreciate any advice, based on what you have read or experienced.

Thank you, in advance.
Rusty

I am going to be building an i7 system here in about a month and from the advice that I have received on these forums about the i7 I can say that it is an amazing chip. You can OC the crap out of it...

Newegg.com - Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

As far as a MB goes it would be the Asus P6t but I'm not sure which one would be the best bang for the buck.

RAM has to be a Triple Channel Kit because that is how the i7 boards are set up. I was recommended this memory because it is inexpensive but according to the guys on here it is very good!
Newegg.com - OCZ Platinum 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

So I would for sure say YES you are going to notice an increase in FPS and overall speed. Plus the i7 is a great investment for future upgrades... Hope this helped some... There are plenty of pro builders on these forums that will give you exact advice but from my new perspective on the i7 and research I have done it is an amazing chip well worth the investment.

#1, will it be worth it, will I experience a change in speed?
#2, will there be a significant increase in the FPS for gaming, or not?
#3, after selling my M.B., CPU and Memory will the extra $200-$300 be worth it?

#1 An i7 is many times faster than any 939 processor ;)
#2 Depends on what you see as significant. Maybe 10-20? It's not an exact science.
#3 Almost definitely.

That will definitely be a huge upgrade for you.

You will need triple channel ram for the i7. The kit Guttzu posted is a great kit.

Again, significant is a very relative word. What games do you play? What do you do with your computer?

If I were you, I would definitely get this and when you get a new video card, get a bigger monitor so you can appreciate your games even more ;)

while your going through all this to upgrade your cpu, mobo and ram you might as well get a new gpu while your at it. sell your 8800gts on ebay a look for a 4770 or a 4850 for nvidia fan a gts250 there all around 120.
i7 is 230, ram is 50 and mobo is 199 if you get the gigabyte ud3r x58 so about 600. then what ever money you make on your old parts take that from the 600

p.s just make sure you have a good psu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom