Dummy overclock

Status
Not open for further replies.
They look simular to mine so you should be ok.

idle1.jpg

For some reason I though he had got it running at 3.6Ghz. His temps are close to what I was getting with my old C stepping when I 1st got it and it was running at 3.6.

From what I can tell he doesn't have the thermal paste applied correctly or his heatsink needs to be lapped. He sent me a PM and I asked him to take the heatsink off and see what kind of coverage the thermal compound is making. Maybe he'll read this and take a picture or 2.

by the way the case is open from both sides i dont know if that plays any metters with the temps!

Taking the sides off won't increase the temps on the cpu, if anything it should decrease them (depending on how much airflow he's getting thru the case w/ sides on)

OP: Some cpu's will overclock better than others, it's always possible you scored a dud. OR at least a partial dud. It could also be worth taking a look at how well the heatsink is contacting the cpu, as slaymate said you might need to lap it/them. You also might want to look into doing a burn-in. I haven't done one on an i7 before, but it lowered the temps on my e6550 by ~3-4 degrees.

btw, I'd take that overclock down just a little. I don't care how hot the i7's are meant to run, 75+ on a processor is just scary.

wow, google says the max is 90C, after which it bsods. However, for a permanent overclock, you wouldn't EVER want to max that high.

Hmmm, seems to me though if the i7's can withstand such high temps, you should be ok at leaving your current overclock there. Just run prime on it for a few hours, heck if you can leave it running for 8+ hours that's even better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom