Harddrive failing - Blue screen, need help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Korsa

Beta member
Okay

Ive had my computer over three years now, its a Dell Dimension 5150 desktop.

Basically, turned it on this morning and I got the screen with the options to start in safe mode and start windows normally.

I started windows normaly and the blue screen popped up, saying its dangerous to start windows and it has been aborted. I cannot get past that screen.

Anyway, my mate popped around and had a look and after running the express test, it basically cannot find any data on the harddrive, so Im thinking its probably beed wiped.
[Error Code: 0F00:136C]

My mate thinks I need to re-install windows, and totally restart.

Im thinking of buying Windows XP Home, its £69.99. Would this work if I re-installed it or is there a way around the error?

If anyone could help that would be great..

Ollie.

Tell us what the STOP error code is on the blue screen (it's at the bottom of the screen).

Also, you wouldn't need to buy a new XP if you wanted to reinstall; you would just need the XP discs if you have a legit serial already (and since you have a Dell, there should be a product key sticker on the side of your computer case somewhere).

If you wanna see if you can get your data back, or see if its still there or not, you can download a Linux LiveCD and boot off of it, and try to see if you can see your data that way and copy it onto an external medium.

One, If windows crashed on yas, Just for kicks, Tryin linux (ubuntu) I did when My comp BSOD. Also, If you get a linux distro, you can do a test install with any free space that is available, and IF there is any data it will show up as a searchable drive.

Give that a shot. AND if it is. Install Linux over the free space, then Copy the contents you want saved to a CD.

BUT really consider Installing Linux, You can always VMware windows or dual boot. Consider it a fun lil challenge. Its only a headache in the beginning when YOu have to get used to it, but after that its a breeze.

***EDIT*** And Lastknownuser Comes in second place :( ***EDIT***

You don't even have to install linux to see the Windows drive. You can boot off of the CD and run it off of the disc (hence the name LiveCD). I do this all the time at work; plug in drive that I need to get data off, boot off of linux cd, plug in external HDD or flash drive to back up onto, and voila.

Oh snap, I thought USB drives and what not didn't work when Booting from a live CD (Mine didn't for some reason until I Installed the full version) but that could be just my computer. Thanks for the info (learn something new everyday)

They've worked everytime I use 'em. I had Ubuntu 8.04 when I was doing it for the most part, as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom