Missing hard drive space

Status
Not open for further replies.

hedderz

Beta member
I have a 37.2GB drive which has, according windows, 15.1MB free. Now when I select all the files (its my second drive and just use it for storage and don't have an operating system installed) it says that there is 33.5GB used.

Where has the 3.7GB gone?

I am running XP and have ran Norton System works and ran all the tools, ran disk defrag, and ran dskchk.

Don't know what else to try now

Please can someone help

Cheers in advance

Hed

Does it say 37.2 on the disk itself? Disks always have less space than shown on the label. Also there could be a hidden or unallocated partition. Did u check disk management?

Do you have windows set to show all files- including hidden files? The file space you are not seeing allocated could be used for hidden files.

what exactly are you doing when you see each size of file space?

u must be looking at something rong... 3.7gigs?

37-15 = 22

33.5-22 = 11.5gigs? u have an unacounted for 11.5gigs? maybe u should recheck some numbers.

Check your page file size and Recycle Bin reserve percentage to make sure they're not too high. Concerning the page file, if you've got 512MB RAM or more, then set it to between 512MB and 1024MB, if you've got less than that, set it to about 1536MB. Concerning the Recycle Bin reserve percentage, I think the default is 10%.

TMT. :cool:

jolancer said:
u must be looking at something rong... 3.7gigs?

37-15 = 22

33.5-22 = 11.5gigs? u have an unacounted for 11.5gigs? maybe u should recheck some numbers.

jolancer your math is off, it's 37.2GB - 33.5GB = 3.7(?).

hedderz the 3GB+ is used by windows. It's been hidden from you.

To clear something up, he's got a 40GB hard disk which reports 37.2GB total space. he already understands the 1024byte=1KB versus 1000byte=1KB conversion I think.

jolancer your math is off, it's 37.2GB - 33.5GB = 3.7(?).

hedderz the 3GB+ is used by windows. It's been hidden from you.

To clear something up, he's got a 40GB hard disk which reports 37.2GB total space. he already understands the 1024byte=1KB versus 1000byte=1KB conversion I think.

Yeah jolancer...lol you didn't look close enough he said 'Free 15MB not 15GB' hehe.....

But still...ekÆsine he says it's his storage...so windows shouldn't be using it. When I look at my 80gb storage drive it says

Used: 46.2
Free: 28.2
Capacity: 74.5

Add up the used and free totals on mine and it's 74.4 so if his is a logical storage drive and not the primary OS drive....then it should say for him 36.9GB Used.......

Hedderz. You just right clicked on the HD and went to 'Properties' right to find that info?

3gb in hidden files seems to be an awful lot...especially considering like I said when I go to properties on my drive all the numbers add up accordingly.

You're not highlighting some of the files....could be 3gb worth of windows needed files but that seems to be quite a lot....I select all the files on my storage drive and the number is right...but I have it selected so that windows shows all the hidden files and whatnot too.

ha, yea i didnt notice the MB... in that case, its about right.

if u disable paging files on that disk, disable the recyle bin on that disk(if it has one) and disable system restore on that disk. your bound to find those extra 3 gig's.

Nubius I don't mean 3GB worth of hidden files. I'm saying there's that much masked from the user, it's being stashed away on reserve for windows. That space may not even contain any files.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom