Won't turn on...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wazaki

Solid State Member
Hello, my computer won't turn on. I was playing Fallout on it a couple of days ago, and it just shut down and wouldn't start up again. I haven't been able to get it even to post since then... any help?

when you press the power button does it do anything? Be specific, do fans spin a bit, does the monitor do anything, or does it not do absolutely anything?

Have you checked all the power cables, if you have a power bar is it on and so forth?

Absolutely nothing. The fans don't spin or anything. The power cables are in properly.

Hm, it could be a few things I suppose. First try to find the power cable that comes from your power switch and plug it into a different connector and try to turn it on.

Try using a different power supply form another computer and see if it turns on.

I've never done but it's been suggested to me to take out the motherboard from the case and lay the motherboard on a cardboard box or similar surface and being careful not let anything touch it try turning on the computer. If you do this you can disconnect the hard drive and any CD drives. If the motherboard turns on and post to the bios after doing this then it's a grounding issue and you may need a new case.

Try this first:

1. Unplug the power cord from the pc
2. Press the power button to drain any leftover charge from the system
3. Remove the CMOS battery and press the power button again
4. Replace the CMOS battery, plug the power cord back in, and try starting the pc again.

If it works, then your system probably overheated while you were playing fallout. Check your temps, especially on the cpu, make sure nothing's overheating.

Depending on what PSU you have this problem might be solved by simply switching it off (if it has a switch), taking the cord out and then putting it back. Most PSUs have protection features and when these are tripped some require power to be removed before they will work again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom