External HDD Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

S0ULphIRE

Golden Master
Hey, has anyone tried those HDD Docks? I'm thinking about getting one, so I can have a pile of hdd's and quickly swap between them without having to bother with any screws/extra cases/etc.
Iuno, would a normal external enclosure be a better choice?

If you want to have the ability to quick swap then an HDD dock would be the better choice. A normal enclosure is only for simple storage without the ability to access several drives quickly.

i was going to get one a while back also...because i have like 10 hdd's sitting around. My problem was that some are ide, som sata, and some scis. So it was not really a good idea.

But i would go for it, but only if you are taking them in and out a lot. But you can get some enclosures for really cheap, so maybe you might want to go that way.

But you can get some enclosures for really cheap, so maybe you might want to go that way.

Never cheap out on an enclosure. I bought an Icydock for $60 and it works perfectly fine, even with continuous use. I also bought a $30 OKGear enclosure...piece of crap. Crapped out on me after a few months; refused to recognize a drive I had been using. Put it in my Icydock enclosure and it worked fine.

^i never said get a crap one. Look around, read some reviews and find a decent one for a decent price. You can get good cheap enclosures, you just have to avoid the bad ones.

You have more of a chance of getting a bad one when getting a cheap one though ;). The cheaper ones usually don't have as good of cooling function for the drives either, hence why its better to get a better quality one as it will be designed better vs another one. Yes I know there can be/are good enclosures that aren't spendy; but from personal experience, I'd rather spend a little bit more and have it work all the time than spend money on a cheap one, only to have it get replaced.

lol, so before this turned into a discussion on cheap/bad cheap/good, the general consensus was that the hdd docks were a better choice for fast swapping?
sweet. :)
I just wasn't sure how well they'd work, whether they were just another piece of plastic **** the industry was trying to pawn. But if they work, then it's genius!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom