System Crashes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackmoore

Daemon Poster
I just put together a new system for my brother and the darn thing keeps crashing. Here is what he's running:

I'll post the exact links

AMD 64 X2 5400+ Black Edition
Newegg.com - AMD Athlon 64 X2 5400 Brisbane 2.8GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core black edition Processor - Processors - Desktops

ASUS M3N78-VM AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 8200 HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
Newegg.com - ASUS M3N78-VM AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 8200 HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards

OCZ SLI-Ready Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit
Newegg.com - OCZ SLI-Ready Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

XFX PVT96OZDFU GeForce 9600 GSO 1GB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16
Newegg.com - XFX PVT96OZDFU GeForce 9600 GSO 1GB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Thermaltake 450 Watt Modular PSU
Newegg.com - Thermaltake TR2 RX W0146RU 450W ATX12V Ver2.2 Modular Passive PFC PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

Segate SATA 500GB HD

Pioneer 20x DVD-RW SATA

WinXP Pro

He says the thing crashes the whole system shuts off while playing games or I would assume when its under load. Browsing the net/word processing is fine. He plays games like Crysis, Left for Dead, and Empire Total War. Any ideas? Is everything compatible? Is the power supply to weak? Maybe the ram is incompatible? The board detects everything just fine. I'm kind of at a loss. We need to resolve this issue fast, we are going to a friends house for a LAN party this weeks. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Get HWMonitor at cpuid.com Keep an idea on temps, then run Prime95 and see how the temps do, also run some other benchmarks to keep an eye on the GPU temps... I am kind of leaning towards the PSU... Seems a bit weak for a 9600.

Just a quick thing, I See the temps quoted. But just make sure you have the most updated drivers for everything, Sometimes thats the quickests solution and a troubleshooting step.

GeForce 9600 GSO Get the most updated drivers from the Download tab.

Ok I checked the temps, the highest I saw the CPU go was 51C before it crashed in Crysis, and the GPU was up near 50C. 3DMark didn't crash it during benchmarks.

What about the temps on the RAM? A lot of people seem to forget that RAM can get pretty hot too, definitely worth checking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom