PC Specs

Status
Not open for further replies.
The reason I chose the hard drive I did is because it has 32mb cache vs the 16mb in the one you chose and it is cheaper for the same size. More cache means faster.

Get the Sunbeam heatsink hikaricould suggested.

When you are not gaming much and not gaming at high resolutions a "top of the line" video card will not benefit you at all. I have the gtx260 and it is even overkill for your needs. You could get by just fine with a gts250 or ati 4850 for your build and still have the ability to play some really good games at high setting.

Hi again all!

Oh and a great racing game is GRID

Thanks! I'll look into it.

The reason I chose the hard drive I did is because it has 32mb cache vs the 16mb in the one you chose and it is cheaper for the same size. More cache means faster.

I thought I *had* chosen a hard drive with 32mb. See what happens when you shop online late at night when you're tired? :eek: Thanks for pointing that out, or I wouldn't have figured it out until too late.

Don't worry about having a beast to play Solitare... It looks whicked cool on SLI'd 260s

Mah-Jongg. ;) The graphics *can* get pretty intense, you know! :laughing:

Thanks again everyone!

Mollie

Sarcasm is just one more service I offer.

MAN that is one monster rig for a non gamer. But i know exactly what you mean, i myself used to be big gamer but know with final year of high school and basketball training I'm committed to i hardly see time to game often. But I'd still love the feeling of building a monster right with a gtx 285 and a i7. Just to see how much performance gain i could get out of it would be worth the while to me.

Hi everyone -

Haven't been able to post - came down with bronchitis. Anyway, these are my final specs (no links this time - I'm too tired to do all of them). Everything has been ordered. Now all I have to do is wait for the parts and put it together! :)

Case:

NZXT TEMPEST Crafted Series CS-NT-TEM-B Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

CPU:

Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80601920

Cooler and Bracket:

Sunbeam CR-CCTF 120 mm Core-Contact Freezer CPU Cooler W/TX-2 - Retail

Sunbeam CR-LGA1366 LGA 1366 Core I7 Retention Bracket - Retail

Motherboard:

ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard

Hard Drive:

Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive

Graphics Board:

BFG BFGEGTS2501024OCBE NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 OC 1 GB GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 Graphics Card

Memory:

Corsair TR3X6G1600C8D Dominator 6 GB 3 x 2 GB PC3-12800 1600MHz 240-Pin DDR3 Core i7 Memory Kit

PSU:

Corsair CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit for System Builders

CD/DVD Burner:

PLEXTOR 20X DVD Super Multi Qflix Drive Black SATA Model PX-806SA SW

Keyboard & Mouse:

Logitech 967688-0403 MX3200 Cordless Desktop Laser (Black)

Speakers:

Logitech Z-5500 THX-Certified 505-Watt 5.1 Digital Surround Sound Speaker System

Card Reader:

Kingston FCR-HS219/1 USB 2.0 Hi-Speed 19-in-1 Media Reader

Plus various cables, an anti-static wrist guard, etc., etc.

Did I forget anything?

And, at the risk of sounding completely ignorant:

...But anyway, it'll be a good folder ;)

I agree. Fold away please.

What is folding?

Thanks again everyone for your help, suggestions, and comments. I truly appreciate it! :)

Mollie

Very nice, good choice on the 250.

Folding is an science experiment for Stanford university, that uses your computers downtime to do their work. Same thing as SETI, if you know that, but the work is on protein and genes that ause MS and other nasty degenerative afflictions.

Folding@home - Main

Hi again everyone -

Well, after fighting off pneumonia and a host of other things, I was finally able to put my new computer together, and it worked from the start! No problems, not one. :happy: Let me tell you though, my heart was pounding when I pressed the power button!

Now, I will go fold. :D

Thanks again, everyone, for all your help!

Mollie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom