First PC Build, let me know how I did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

3.8mateoAMD

Solid State Member
Hey all, just finished my first PC build on Thursday. Its been about 5 months in the making but its alive. Just curious how everyone thinks I did. (Computers purpose is general computing like word/internet/school, and moderate gaming.)

Specs:
- XFX GeForce 8200 Motherboard
- AMD Phenom X4 9550 Quad Core 2.20GHz
- XFX GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512mb
- OCZ SLI-Ready Dual Channel 4096MB PC6400 DDR2 800MHz
- Western Digital Caviar SE16 500GB
- Sony DRU-V200S/BR DVD Rewritable Drive SATA
- NZXT Tempest ATX Mid-Tower Case
- NZXT PP-600 600-Watt PSU
- COOLER MASTER DK8-9GD4A-0L-GP

And just before anyone mentions it, I know I have a microATX mobo in a huge case, that was my bad, but I got a killer deal on the mobo/cpu combo.

Also, what software is good for monitoring AMD cpu temps? I'm currently running Core Temp 0.99.5 beta.

Core Temp is fine.

You really shouldn't have gotten an old Phenom. You could have gotten a newer one that would be much better...and the motherboard really isn't that good. If you wanted a 9800GTX+, you should have gotten the GTS250, it's a rebranded 9800GTX+, yet it's every so slightly faster, and cheaper. Would have gotten better RAM, a higher cache HDD...but hey, it will work. That's what really matters. How much did you pay for all that?

Core Temp is fine.

You really shouldn't have gotten an old Phenom. You could have gotten a newer one that would be much better...and the motherboard really isn't that good. If you wanted a 9800GTX+, you should have gotten the GTS250, it's a rebranded 9800GTX+, yet it's every so slightly faster, and cheaper. Would have gotten better RAM, a higher cache HDD...but hey, it will work. That's what really matters. How much did you pay for all that?

What pains me the most is for all but the PSU and FHS, I paid 5+ month ago prices. I got the CPU/mobo combo for ~200, GPU for 150, RAM was 45, HDD was 60, PSU was 70, FHS was 9 lol, case was 100, and optical drive was 35. So around 670 for the whole thing.

Taking into consideration what you said, and also what I kind of already have stewing in the back of my head, I would like to upgrade thet mobo/cpu combo. Obviously to a full ATX board, but what processor? Before I was also looking at the Q6700, until I found the deal on my combo. I was also looking a the GTX 280, which is on my wishlist. Finally, whats the best price/brand for a 32mb cache HDD? I found a WD 500Gb 32mb chache for 70+shipping on newegg, is that pretty standard? Hows segate compare?

Taking into consideration what you said, and also what I kind of already have stewing in the back of my head, I would like to upgrade thet mobo/cpu combo. Obviously to a full ATX board, but what processor? Before I was also looking at the Q6700, until I found the deal on my combo. I was also looking a the GTX 280, which is on my wishlist. Finally, whats the best price/brand for a 32mb cache HDD? I found a WD 500Gb 32mb chache for 70+shipping on newegg, is that pretty standard? Hows segate compare?

Go with the WD 640 16MB. It is very fast and we recommend it most of the time.

I think you just spent a good portion of my next paycheck. :p

Thanks for the help man. I'm also going to look into the HDD. It didn't hit me to get a higher cache at first, because I jumped on a good deal. (Well a good deal 5 months ago lol)

I'd say 670 for what I got in last years prices was decent though.

It's not bad. But an upgrade would be nice. ;) You'll be blown away by the speed difference. Also, the 940 overclocks way better.

Your hard drive is okay, the higher cache isn't terribly noticeable, but somewhere it will help and be worth the money if you ask me. You don't need to buy the HDD if you don't need to.

It's not bad. But an upgrade would be nice. ;) You'll be blown away by the speed difference. Also, the 940 overclocks way better.

Your hard drive is okay, the higher cache isn't terribly noticeable, but somewhere it will help and be worth the money if you ask me. You don't need to buy the HDD if you don't need to.

Thats good to hear, I've been wanting to play with OCing, but I know I definitly need a better FHS.

As far as thet hdd goes, I'm looking to pick up a nice 250gb external to put all my music and pictures on first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom