Can't read HDD. Inpage Operation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inziladun

Baseband Member
Some of you may of read my problem in the Operating System forums : http://www.techist.com/forums/f9/won-t-boot-corrupted-pci-sys-205520/

Well I got my new HDD today, hooked it up, partitioned and installed XP, it works great.

Went into my computer to try and access my old HDD to transfer data and get the error message "E:\ is not accessible performing an inpage operation"

Tried the cmd "chkdisk E: /r" and it won't get all the way through the test, it stops after stage 2. Please tell me there's some way I can possibly retrieve my data off my HDD.

Sounds like you're screwed. If you know Linux you should be able to use PCopy or the sort to try to get as much data off of the drive as possible on to a new good drive.

You may also go to the drive manufacturers web site and see if they have any data recovery software you can use.

For something like that my shop uses a $1300 YEC Ninja device, but I doubt you want to spend that kind of money.

Basically you want to find a piece of software that will do a bit for bit recovery from the old hard drive to a new medium. You probably wont get everything off, but you'll get the data up to the point of the corruption on the hard drive.

if the hard drive itself isn't bad, you should be able to boot up a linux live distro like backtrack or knoppix (i like backtrack because it's loaded with forensics material and all sorts of other goodies)

Remote-Exploit.org - Supplying offensive security products to the world

then read the contents and copy to an external hdd or burn to cd/dvd. If the hard drive is physically dead then you would have to either replace the bad part (assuming it's the PCB and not platter/head) to get it working again, or take it to a data recovery site which can be very costly.

Well the HDD got a lot worse. To the point I can't run it in a raid to even try to access it. So i'm assuming a data recovery place is the only option now, as the freezer trick didn't work.

Oh well, I'll stick it in an anti-static bag and put it in the closet for a rainy day. Maybe i'll get the stuff off there one day, as there is a lot of stuff I'd like to get off, but none of it is really urgent.

Thanks for the help guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom