Sata Controller question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chad711

Daemon Poster
So I bought a sata controller because I have four hdd, two of which hold a OS, (Vista & 7) and the other two are slave drives. One of the slaves is 1 TB and the other is 250 GB. I wanted to use the sata controller to boot my windows 7 OS when ever I want but I guess this is not possible as I didn't see it in the bios boot order. So is there any way around this? I was thinking about putting the 250 GB on the sata controller instead but all my games are installed on this hdd and I'm afraid it will load slow as **** on this controller, right? The 1 TB is to big for the controller.

Am I stuck?

SATA is going to boot from channel 0 to the highest channel you have. 0 being the OS channel, then going up from there. There is no boot order with SATA, you aren't going to see a bios option for this.

If you have the drives on the add-on card, you will need to tell the motherboard to attempt to boot from the add-on card if that is an option in the BIOS, and Lex, just for future reference, there is a boot order with SATA, as you can tell the controller on several newer motherboards which SATA drive to boot from.

I will look around to see if there is a way to boot from the card. I only saw the boot sequence for the sata's from mobo.

Thanks

Well I wasted money and time for nothing. I actually have 6 sata ports on mobo. I didn't notice this because they are stacked 3 rows of 2 and I couldn't see the stack of 2's. LOL oops

Good news is all 4 HDD are now in and I can boot W7 with out messing with sata cables

The sata card is PCI-e so it's no where near the sata ports. The sata ports are also very hard to see with the gpu in there.

When the computer was first built I didn't put the HDD in, my buddy did so I never even looked at them.

The only reason I even thought I might have 6 is because I saw 6 locations in the bios and only 3 in use. I took out the gpu and sound card so I could get in there. Turned on a flash light and sure enough! LOL

The sata card is PCI-e so it's no where near the sata ports. The sata ports are also very hard to see with the gpu in there.

When the computer was first built I didn't put the HDD in, my buddy did so I never even looked at them.

The only reason I even thought I might have 6 is because I saw 6 locations in the bios and only 3 in use. I took out the gpu and sound card so I could get in there. Turned on a flash light and sure enough! LOL

LOL funny. I had a friend tell me one time my mobo didn't have any SATA slots... I had to actually open the case and point them out to him... >.<

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom