Dual CPU core I7

Status
Not open for further replies.
He has a big budget, so why not 3 285s, instead of 2?

And yeah, 2 cpus and 7-8 years is a joke. Even if you did have two of them, the gpus would become obsolete before the processors.

That dual board looks cool but it probably won't overclock well if at all. Aftermarket cooling, it doesn't look like theres room for 2 good heatsinks. It looks like a server board so I'm doubting it's SLI or Crossfire compatible. I would probably use it for a paperweight.

Pinscher list looks good though I would have to recommend a bigger power supply for a Quad SLI setup. I have one of these, it's an excellant power supply.
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Real Power Pro RS-C50-EMBA-D2 1250W ATX Form Factor 12V V2.3 / SSI standard EPS 12V V2.92 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

You have some learning to do buddy. I put 2 GTX285s not 295s. 285s are single GPU cards. You wouldn't need a 1250w PSU for Quad-sli either. You would be fine with 1000w

bit-tech.net | Review - Nvidia GeForce GTX 295 1,792MB & Quad SLI

Druid: the only reason to add another 285 would be if he were using a 30" monitor and I priced that option out and it would be too expensive. The build I put together puts him at about $3200

Thanx for the help so far guys....

Anyways I know my bro wouldn't be able to tell an I7 from a PIII if both are running crysis flawlessly:D

he's not some computer genious and all:laughing:...

But NOT to buy him a good system would be bad on my part

But WAIT JUST SECOND THERE............

Are you guys saying that there is no system that can last 7-8 years???

I bought a P4 7-8 years ago...Cost me a fortune...It was my second PC, 1.6 GHz, 40GB, 128MB RDRAM....According to that time it used to be the most awsome system possible.
It still runns till this day and can games like Halo And CS etc:rolleyes:

My First PC was a Compaq branded....I bought it about 15 years ago. remember nuthing about it though. But I know this that it one of the first PCs in my country:eek:Cost a fortune:D

Correct me if I am wrong but I think that there is a system out there that can possibly survive another 7-8 years or so....isn't there?

Also I am DEFINITLY not saying that you guys have to spend all the money availible. Just spend it till you guys can get the best system ever:D

Not to mention a 30" screen would be unecessary as my bro does,t want to get into the screen:laughing:...lol...

And Now am a bit ambiguous........Aren't two I7's on the same board a **** lot better than one??

And whats with this server talk??:happy:....can't understand a word about it?

And is the 1366 socket dual CPU board even built for the I7....Is this dual CPU thing even supported in the I7....????

BTW guys I'm not extravagant so any uneccary things would have to go:(...

TO PINSCHER: I'll check out the system right away but should't I go with the 965??....I NOT into OCing......Not even One bit

Games don't support the amount of cores you'd be running with two i7s. It isn't going to help.

And if you want to cut out some unnecessary stuff, you could get cheaper ram, and a different mobo. There is other stuff on there, but I'm too lazy to look through it all. Sorry. The reason people like the eVGA is because it is has 3 x16 pci-e slots. You cant get a cheaper version that will still have these:

EVGA X58 SLI Motherboard - LGA 1366, Intel X58, SATA, SLI Ready, CrossFireX Ready, Triple Channel DDR3 support, RAID, Hyperthreading support 132-BL-E758-TR at TigerDirect.com

However, when you are running tri-sli, the second two slots will go down to x8. This doesn't matter though because pci-e 2.0 is basically running at double speed and there aren't any cards out that will use up all the bandwidth yet. With just regular sli, both slots will run at x16.

No the reason people like the EVGA is because it is an awesome board all around. It is a great overclocker, it is easy to use, it comes with a lifetime warranty, its rock-solid, and EVGA's tech support is phenomenal.

uneeb: Dual CPU boards are meant to be used in servers. They are NOT meant for gaming machines. You will probably lose performance if you used one of these for gaming. If you had two i7s on one board, that means you would have 8 cores (4 cores per cpu). Almost all games don't even take advantage of 4 cores so having 8 would be completely useless. You would pretty much just have a cpu sitting there doing nothing all day long. The board probably doesn't scale the cpus very well on most of the applications you would be using (especially games) so you would probably lose performance. That board also probably uses a different type of ram that is meant for servers. I don't know much about it but I think it is designed to perform very differently than regular DDR3.

Also, no you shouldn't get the i7 965 ESPECIALLY because you are not into overclocking. That chip is made for overclocking and if you don't overclock with it and push it to extremes, then it is a complete waste of money. Trust us, we know very well what we are talking about and what is best for you.

I'm not saying this PC is going to die in 7-8 years. It will still be running but it won't be a great gaming PC anymore. Technology simply moves to fast for that. There will still be games you can play on it but it would be smarter to just upgrade this machine in 2-3 years and stay with the times. Thats what I did with mine. I built my rig about 2 years ago and that christmas, I upgraded the mobo, then last winter I upgraded to i7. Now my rig stays up to date and I sold my older parts to get some of my money back.

so what you are seggessting is that I should go for 4 cores now right??

DOn't get me wrong......but 4 cores = 3-4 years
8 cores = 7-8 years

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

doesn't that make sense????:laughing:.......any ways.....back to the serious side:

Yesterday games only used 1 core
TOday they also use one core exept GTA4 which is the first game I have seen using 2 cores
And hypothetically....tommorows games would use 2-4 cores......
So 8 cores is a bit too much right??...

But how about 6 years from now.....when games use 6-8 cores (which is highly unlikely):eek:

The truth is that I want to build my bro A future proof and sealed and doubble proof ETC rig.....

Another question.....how long before my GFX cards become obsolete.....and how long till the get EXTINCT!!!!!!!I have gtx295....2 ov them

Also how long before my Core I7 becomes extinct????....right now i have one 920

and shouldI go for the 940???

I will say this one time.

Please listen to the fine comments you are getting here and do not get a dual i7 server board for gaming.

Take your budget and spend half. Then put the other half in a savings account to spend in 4 years.

There is your future proofing.

so what you are seggessting is that I should go for 4 cores now right??

DOn't get me wrong......but 4 cores = 3-4 years
8 cores = 7-8 years

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

doesn't that make sense????:laughing:.......any ways.....back to the serious side:

Yesterday games only used 1 core
TOday they also use one core exept GTA4 which is the first game I have seen using 2 cores
And hypothetically....tommorows games would use 2-4 cores......
So 8 cores is a bit too much right??...

But how about 6 years from now.....when games use 6-8 cores (which is highly unlikely):eek:

The truth is that I want to build my bro A future proof and sealed and doubble proof ETC rig.....

Another question.....how long before my GFX cards become obsolete.....and how long till the get EXTINCT!!!!!!!I have gtx295....2 ov them

Also how long before my Core I7 becomes extinct????....right now i have one 920

and shouldI go for the 940???

For the love of all that is good in this world. No. Wrong wrong wrong. I'm not trying to come across rude or being a **** ,but no dude. Just no. Their is not one single logical compelling reason to get a dual socket motherboard for your brother. In 6 years from now, the CPU's that are going to be out are going to spank the living **** out of any desktop you can build right now.

When you're talking about five to six years from now, their is no such thing as future proofing. Five years ago I was 16 and we had an AMD Athlon 3200+ and a ATI 9800pro. Heck, three years ago I was rocking an AMD X2 3800+ when it was just released, a 7800GT, and 1.5GB of RAM. That was a great gaming rig back then.

Carefully read what Hefe said and what everone else has said.

well computers can "last" forever, theoretically. but a computer that will be able to keep with the current computers 7-8 years from now is just not possible. especially if your trying to play the latest games maxed out and what not.

just go with what we are saying and spend about half now then save the other half for upgrades to keep up to par.

yeah really. dont get me wrong and im NOT trying to sound rude but. Why are you arguing with these people about this? They know what their talking about and you came looking for help with this. if anything there saving you money?

But, as for my 2 cents, im just new to hardware but im pretty sure cards fairly fast, well fast enough anyways id say youd have to start looking into new ones in about a years time.

as i said , im new to the hardware scene so i could be mistaken :)

EDIT: man.. everyone beat me to that lol :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom