Help! Installed a few parts now I get 'No Signal' from monitor!

Status
Not open for further replies.
flash the bios manually. All you need is a floppy drive installed and a spare floppy you can format. Then download the executable file from asus's website and it will format the floppy for you, then boot from the device using boot sequence in bios. You can do the same with usb keys now bu i'm not sure if p965 would have supported that.

On the asus site it has the list of bios updates, look for the update which actually adds the e8500 the the cpu support list. Try installing this bios and not the newest one maybe there is something wrong with the newest bios. Or google to see what bios verison others are using. But to me it sounds as if the e8500 is faulty.

Ok

What do I do if I don't have a 3.5" Floppy drive installed? All I have is a DVD-RW drive. I'm not an expert, but just from my research, I don't think the E8500 is faulty. If you put in Google search E8500, P5B Deluxe, it looks like alot of other people are having the same issue with this combo. Heres an example, identical situation:

e8500+p5b-deluxe = hang on post

I've posted on the Asus forums. Hopefully someone can chime in:

ASUSTeK Computer Inc.-Forum- Installed E8500 Processor, won't POST at startup now!

I think right now, the priority for me is to find out what the correct version of BIOS I need, and I need to know/learn how to properly Flash my BIOS. If I do this, and it still doesn't work, Ill just assume the E8500 chip is faulty.

i had a brief look though google and people said there a bipos verison not released on the asus site that fixes system hangs with 4gb or more with new cpus. I then found there is a asus official release that on the asus download site.

the version you need is bios update 1238

Thanks, Baron. Do you recommend I use the built-in Flash utility in BIOS, or the windows Update Utility?

Ok - I got it fixed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For anyone else with these same issues:

I originally Flashed to 1238 (most recent BIOS version for the ASUS P5B Card). For whatever reason, the PC wasn't POSTing with that BIOS version.

I resinstalled my E6400.

I switched to BIOS 1236, and put the E8500 processor back in. This time it POSTed, but was freezing at the ASUS Splash Screen.

I again switched back to the E6400, and re-flashed back to 1238. This time, when I booted, it worked!! I had to go into setup and change some things, but its working perfect now!

Thanks for all the help guys

Ah so the 1238 re-flash helped solve the problem hey. Did you use windows update or bios flash, i always have preferred bios flash, i don't mind booting from a usb it's not really that difficult. I guess now you an start your overclocking!!

Ah so the 1238 re-flash helped solve the problem hey. Did you use windows update or bios flash, i always have preferred bios flash, i don't mind booting from a usb it's not really that difficult. I guess now you an start your overclocking!!

I used the Windows Flash utility - I couldn't get the 'ASUS EZ BIOS' flash to work on bootup.

Anyways, ya! I want to get my E8500 running @ 4.0ghz. I have proper cooling and everything. Im just happy to have a working PC again! I have to do some research before I start OCing again (its been awhile!)

Thanks again for the help

I used the Windows Flash utility - I couldn't get the 'ASUS EZ BIOS' flash to work on bootup.

Anyways, ya! I want to get my E8500 running @ 4.0ghz. I have proper cooling and everything. Im just happy to have a working PC again! I have to do some research before I start OCing again (its been awhile!)

Thanks again for the help
no problems be sure to tell us about your results with the overclocking.

Since your motherboard is a 965 chipset it will need a bios update to work with the e8500. If you put your old cpu back in, flash the motherboard with the newest bios, then install the e8500 it should work.

Im having the same problem, but I cant seam to flash my bios, im using a "acer F672CR" motherboard and think my only problem is getting it to flash. There is no option to do anything like flashing in the bios setup. And the download from the acer website doesnt really do anything just shows a small dos screen and then dissapears.

I also have a E8500 processor.
Acer M1610

Be awesome if someone could suggest something. Thanks

--

So ive managed to flash my bios, at last! and now installed the e8500 processor, but when it loads it sticks at the vista waiting screen! any ideas now?

Im having the same problem, but I cant seam to flash my bios, im using a "acer F672CR" motherboard and think my only problem is getting it to flash. There is no option to do anything like flashing in the bios setup. And the download from the acer website doesnt really do anything just shows a small dos screen and then dissapears.

I also have a E8500 processor.
Acer M1610

Be awesome if someone could suggest something. Thanks

--

So ive managed to flash my bios, at last! and now installed the e8500 processor, but when it loads it sticks at the vista waiting screen! any ideas now?

You have to download the .ROM file (which is the BIOS). Does your vendor have an "Update Utility"?

For ASUS, I downloaded the .ROM and Update Program separetely. When I ran the update program, it asked me where the .ROM file is located. It then flashed from the .ROM

The folder that i downloaded never had a .ROM file, only a .BIN .BAT and .EXE and the flash client I used was winFlash that was a zip that came in that download folder.

I tried re-flashing it again to see if it would work but the heatsink seamed to work harder than ever before and when i took the e8500 out it was way hot, could this affect it at all?

Oh and if you mean update utility as in within the winFlash client, then there is a update bootblock and update BIOS all option if that helps

You have to download the .ROM file (which is the BIOS). Does your vendor have an "Update Utility"?

For ASUS, I downloaded the .ROM and Update Program separetely. When I ran the update program, it asked me where the .ROM file is located. It then flashed from the .ROM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom