Bootup Problems; the POST beep errors

Status
Not open for further replies.

fridgestar

Baseband Member
Hi, can someone help me please? Whenever I try to boot up my computer I will get no display on my monitor and also a long beep and 3 short beeps. I'm using a ASUS M2V motherboard and the computer was working fine before. Basically, before this started to happen my computer would begin to just blink to a black screen and then back to normal sometimes and I would receive a message about the display device and something called atkindiag or something not working and that it has recovered. this didn't happen all that much but it began to increase in frequency until it got to a point that it was happening every few seconds. I restarted my computer and it began to cause my computer to crash and restart and i thought it was a virus so i went into safe mode where it didnt happen at all and i ran malware and antispyware searches but didnt get any major viruses. So i tried again in normal mode but my computer would either freeze during the loading OS screen or when I clicked on the start menu if i got it to windows. So i shut my computer down via the switch at the back for all the power in the system and then my computer screen wouldn't even display anything when i booted and thats how my computer became like this. My computer is not really that old or new either, its been working for a bit less than a year until this occurred. Ive tried reinstalling the ram, and reinstalling the video card, and running without vid card but I still get the same beep sequence. can someone help me please???

that series of beep codes is either bad ram or bad gpu. Based upon your symptoms I am leaning towards bad gpu or possibly bad gpu slot on the motherboard.

Reseat gpu and reconnect power.
reseat ram as well.

See if you have another one or can borrow another gpu to test.
run memtest.

ok, it seems that the problem was indeed the video card. when i put in a different video card my computer was able to boot however, the sound is now not working, although I haven't tried installing the drivers again, is there anything, malfunctions, errors, etc that would be able to cause them to stop working? or am i just overthinking a simple video card malfunction? also, thanks for helping me

Most likely you are over thinking it a bit. It could have been a heat issue / fan stopped working or it could have just been something that happened. Make sure you have good airflow in your case just in case.

Reinstall you audio drivers as you had suggested.

um, I bought a new video card, the XFX geforce 9600 GSO PCI-express but I still get the three beeps, can someone help me? is there possibly another problem other than the video card? im really confused right now because the computer only ran with an old radeon x550 video card. the video card i used originally, radeon x1550 and the geforce both get the beeps

if you're talking about the 6pin on the left side of the vid card then its connected properly into the slot

nevermind, the instructions said two was needed but it only had one on the vid card, and now it works! thanks very much for the help!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom