Problem with new build on start up

Status
Not open for further replies.

rainbrain

Solid State Member
At first I plugged everything in like a noob would, and when I turned it on, there was no activity, and something blew and magic smoke rose. Everything was closed so I couldn't tell where it came from. I can only say that it rose from the top fan, and rose right after it blew, so it looked like it came from the fan, but it probably didn't.

mobo
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD4P LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

cpu
Newegg.com - Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

case
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER HAF 932 RC-932-KKN1-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

psu
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply - Power Supplies

ok, here's what I have:

upon inspection, no one part shows any signs of dmg (no burn mark, etc) the motherboard and cpu both look fine.

after that I started over and plugged only these in:

connected:
12 v
power connector
fans

The motherboard, psu, and cpu are mounted on the case.

the results:

No activity, no noise (no fan activity)
power light lights up on motherboard, and a distinct smell begins to appear. I turn it off before it gets worse.

With a tech friend on the line, he helped me through it so I didn't make any mistakes. He thinks that its either the motherboard or the psu. The motherboard seems to be getting power, ie the blue power led turns on, but doesn't seem to be supplying power to the rest. Hes on the line, and cant see himself, so he wants a second opinion before he stars advising what to send back, what do you guys think?

Sounds like the power supply to me, could be the mobo too but less likely. So in essence I agree with your friend's troubleshoot :)

Sounds like a blown PSU to me. There's not much else in the case that would randomly smoke right away. Weird that a Corsair would blow like that, but they aren't completely devoid of manufacturer's defects I suppose.

According to corsair's 'paperclip test' (Welcome to Corsair :: Tech Support Express) The PSU works fine.

the power supply was connected to the wall, and only a fan and HDD were connected to the PSU. With the paperclip, the fan spun and the HDD activated.

Here's an update:

After testing the PSU, I connected the 24 pin connector to the motherboard, and omfg it worked! (many lights turned on and it beeped angrily at me.) That is until I unplugged and tried again. Nothing burns anymore, but it doesn't work. The blue power LEDs turns on, yellow light next to it turns on for a second. If I press the blue power light, the yellow light comes back on, and nothing happens. O, and the red voltage light comes on for a split second when I flip the power on too.

A different friend keeps saying, are you sure the psu and mobo are compatible?? (he knows about as much I do, but he was able to succ. put together his first build xD ) I'm pretty sure they are, you guys agree right? ( links at top )

Anyways, it looks like the mobo is defective.

You can't really have a PSU that isn't compatible with a motherboard. PSUs are basically universal. So nothing occurs when you turn on your computer? Nothing turns on on the screen or beeps? I think you might have a defective motherboard. Also, make sure that your board isn't being grounded by a metal part of the case.

Just as a double check here.

You do have both the 24pin and the extra 4or8pin connectors into the motherboard correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom