Having trouble finding an i7 board that meets my needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SSSlippy

Solid State Member
I like the new classified by evga that was just released but it has issues with power supplies and I already have an enermax psu.

The system will have dual 285 cards and a 9800 gt for a ppu. I also wanted to be able to put in a sound card. I'm also looking to OC to 3.8 on air.

Any recomendations?

Don't buy a 9800gt especially for physx, its over the top and an additional expense which isn't very needed. I run a 8800gts 640mb for my physx as it was my previous graphics card before I got a gtx260 (216) it does positively effect gaming speeds however the supported game list is so short its not worth buying a brand new card for but if you have the 9800gt then stick it in.

What is your whole planned build atm?
What is the budget?
What do you currently own?

my research led me to choosing the evga x58 mobo... seemed like the best bang for the buck...

due to lack of copy and paste in the iPhone I won't be providing links.

CM 480 case
I7 920
Dual evga 285
9800 gt PPU
6gb ocz plat ram
Therm black 120 cooler using scythe fans
Case will also have scythe fans added
2x raid 0 raptor 74gb (already have)
1tb wd black hd
80gb 7200 rpm for contance download small files so I don't have to defrag daily (already own)
Enermax 85+ 1050 watt PSU already own. I know this unit is overkill but it was cheaper then the 850
24 inch benq
19 inch dell (already owned)

I am liking the setup of the asus p6t6 ws revolution it leaves me with 2 open pcie slots.

Not really, you have to take into account how big the 285s are, they take up two slots. You wouldn't really need 6 pci-e slots anyway, just 3, which is why I picked out those three boards.

2x 285 that's 4 slots gone 9800 eats up one more and sound may go in the other depend on how the onboard sounds. I see that using 6 slots.

You said it left you with two open slots. ;) Which, counting all your hardware, would not be true. I figured you meant after you stuck everything in there, which would have been true with single slot cards.

So what sound card are you getting?

Updated original list. Sorry I had ment before ppu and sound card. That is my fault for being poor with my descriptions. I will be using the asus card if I could remember the name. However with the asus board having eax 4.0 I may not need it. I know there is eax 5.0 but I am not sure what games support it

Normally, nowadays sound cards are really pointless. You get good enough sound from high end boards. If you want to upgrade the sound later, that's one thing, but you can survive without it up front.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom