Ram choice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Water cooling RAM is really pointless, a good heatsink is all you need. The PI Blacks have that. :p If you really want to cool something extra, cool the NB.

no I don't really want to add any extra heat to the loop just felt like being an advocate, also the pipes everywhere would look quite cool but I have no window so that doesn't matter.

They had a stock update here are the new prices on the Pi blacks

4Gb PI PC2-6400 4-4-4-12 Black ... £47.50 inc VAT

4Gb PI PC2-7200 4-4-4-12 Black ... £51.00 inc VAT

4Gb PI PC2-8500 5-5-5-15 Silver ... £60.00 inc VAT

4Gb PI PC2-8000 4-5-4-12 Black ... £167.50 inc VAT

One extra g-skill
G.Skill 4Gb PQ DDRII PC8000 (2x2Gb Kit) (5-5-5-15) £51.75 inc vat

Think I will go with the Pi blacks;
4Gb PI PC2-7200 4-4-4-12 Black ... £51.00 inc VAT

I've heard the PI Silvers aren't as overclockable. Weird they don't have PI Blacks in 1066. I would personally get the 900s that you were talking about before.

Yeah after reading a few reviews found out that the Pi silvers are exactly the same as OCZ reapers and that they are only debateably better then the 7200 variant pi blacks

2nd of next month I am getting;

500 Seagate 7200.11
Q9550
G-skill pi blacks (900mhz)
Griffin power mate

Then in June I am going to get the parts listed here (If I can wait that long tbh seems a little pointless as I will moving away around august to begin life as a dive instructor and therefore having a good desktop is a burden as I will be travelling every 3-6 months but I am going to do it anyway even if it means loaning the desktop to a needy friend):
http://www.techist.com/forums/f10/i-have-succumbed-water-cooling-194534/

With this upgrade my htpc spare part build will finally be complete :):):) holding (parts all already own):

Asus P5b deluxe
E6600
Zalman 9500
(4x1gb) 4gb corsair xms2 ram
8800gts 640mb <--- so it will have a gaming punch if needed
not really decided on hdd either a seagate 320gb 7200.11 or the old ide drives I pulled out of old dells (samsung and hitachi I think approx 100-200gb I painted them so can't check the labels)
Antec true power 430W
Wireless card
Satans case Modded: smoked acrylic window on top, side panels with fan holes (Per panel 1x120mm and 2x60mm), new feet, Lian li pci slot fillers (shiny and vented), mirror finished blue and silver paint internally with a new matte silver outside and The underside of the top panel has been sanded to make it very reflective. Finally going to stick a couple of LED blue lights in it shich should bounce around the reflective surfaces like crazy :)

yeah good choice, I've always wanted to get my ands on a set of them. Can't wait to hear your results. But if you were to go W/c on your ram i have heard the flex's are great for that. I would go for the 900's since they are like a couple pounds more, even though they are no doubt the same chips but with a higher default speed, it might just give your the extra edge for your overclocking. nice htpc btw!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom