Overheating!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pagdwa

Solid State Member
Holy Cow... I just bought a new system and my CPU is running at 80C IDLE!

My set up is the Prescot 530 775... here is a link CPU
It is running with a stock heat sink/fan and 1 80mm fan. It is a 400watt "Powermax" PSU.

The board is a Gigabyte GA-8IPE775-G.

During installation the thermal pad got damaged, so I removed it and used thermal paste.

Like I said idle I am running 60-80C, and if I boot up a game it hits near 90C.

Should I buy a new heatsink? I found this one new heat sink

Thanks in advance..
Ryan

Yes, both of the fans are plugged in and I have an expansion bay fan. So to clarify that makes the CPU fan, the Dual Expansion bay fan, and the 80mm fan mounted on the back of the computer.

Now I mean I boot up this machine, go to bios, walk away for 5 min come back and BAM it was at 75C.. I go to windows, load up this software that checks the temp, 80C.

God, I don't want to go through the hassle of returning this....

EDIT: I ust read that somthing about putting to much thermal paste on... could this be a problem? I figured.. hey the more the merrier....

I figured.. hey the more the merrier....

you figured incorrectly....if you have a good finish on the heatsink then an almost transparent layer of compound is needed...a little bit thicker if the heatsink has a crappy finish, but by a little bit they mean a LITTLE bit. You're supposed to take a little drop on the corner of the CPU core and spread it evenly over the core....when the heatsink smashes down ontop of it it'll squish it all out over the edges if you put on too much which is probably what you did. Reseat your heatsink and make sure you put on a thin layer of compound. If you're heatsink had a thermal pad on it then you should HAVE NOT have put thermal compound on it.....a lot of stock heatsinks come with thermal pads not the grease....so if you've taken off the heatsink and put the thermal paste on your CPU Core you screwed up....you don't add grease to the pad. That's an insanely high temp for an intel especially.

If your CPU was running at 90, Especially with Intel it would of been fried. Since its a new system, I might think it could be your BIOS reading it wrong. Did you flash to the latest BIOS?

The pad got messed up when I was putting the ehat sink on, the instructinos excplicitly said to make sure this didn't happen, so I just removed the pad and picked up radio shacks heat compound.

-AnGuiSh- said:
If your CPU was running at 90, Especially with Intel it would of been fried. Since its a new system, I might think it could be your BIOS reading it wrong. Did you flash to the latest BIOS?
I am with Anguish. Sounds like it might be an error in the Bios reading your temps. 90 deg. C is ridiculously high. Dont Intels come with a certain safety thing to shut off the CPU if it reaches too high of a temp?

90C. That would, like, melt your CPU to your mobo. lol. There has to be something wrong with how the temps are being read.

Looks like this new LGA775 socket stuff is made to ONLY run with thermal pads said Carlos from Intel. So they are overnighting somenew pads for me.

I asked Carlos about CPUs melting to motherboards and he said that it would need to reach temps MUCH higher than that. I mean its metal people come on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom