850watt more efficient then 460watt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYbadboy911

In Runtime
I have a 850watt corsair 80+ efficent power supply now my old pc had a regular 460watt psu. is the 850xt corsair more efficient then my old 460watt? or my electric bill will be higher with the 850 corsair?

The 850W is more efficient yes.

If you have an old system that uses something like 400W then the 850W Corsair will still be more efficient.

The corsair PSU is more efficient, but that doesn't have much to do with its wattage rating.

Well a tiny bit, not just any 850W is instantly more efficient but if your system demands 450W and your using a 450W MAX psu then yes wattage does have to do with it i think due to increased heat.

But yes your right, i think the Corsair is rated 80+ at 20%, 50% and close to max?

EDIT: Yep.

80%+ energy efficiency at 20%, 50% and 100% load condition for less heat generation and lower energy bill.

The wattage rating is the max it can supply, not the amount that it draws. The effeciency of the PSU is a function of the total system power draw but the max rating is more or less irrelevant when you're talking about the same computer.

I.e. your system components need X power so the output of the PSU will be X and the draw of the PSU will be X/0.80 (80% efficiency).

So say for example your computer needs 250W output from the PSU, your old PSU is 70% efficient and the new one is 80% efficient.

The old PSU will draw 250/0.70=357W

The new PSU will draw 250/0.80=312W

The maximum amount of power the PSU can supply (460W or 850W) is irrelevant to your electric bill.

Packard bell PSU

hi there guys im in a bit of bother
i have been given a nvidia geforce xfx 9600 GT as a present to put into my packard bell imedia x2424, its compatible but i need to know if the Power supply is the right wattage for the card. i cannot find the wattage of my PSU anywhere! help is very much apreciated. thank you:)

The wattage rating is the max it can supply, not the amount that it draws.

The max that its rated to supply at a decent efficiency rating, check most PSU's stats youll see an 850W PSU be able to have an absolute max of 1000W or something along those lines.

Re: Packard bell PSU

hi there guys im in a bit of bother
i have been given a nvidia geforce xfx 9600 GT as a present to put into my packard bell imedia x2424, its compatible but i need to know if the Power supply is the right wattage for the card. i cannot find the wattage of my PSU anywhere! help is very much apreciated. thank you:)

It comes with a Q6600 so I would assume it has at least a 400W or something similar.

Anyway, the 9600GT is quite an efficient card and I would just plug it in, it should be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom