Help! Installed a few parts now I get 'No Signal' from monitor!

Status
Not open for further replies.
try reseting teh CMOS.

I have no display on my monitor to do this.

Do you still have your old psu to try? Also have you tried just booting with one stick of ram?

Im going to disconnect everything (except) processor, and see if I get a boot at all. If I don't, ill try the Power Supply (put the old one back in)

Im going to disconnect everything (except) processor, and see if I get a boot at all. If I don't, ill try the Power Supply (put the old one back in)

Here is what I did:

I removed EVERYTHING, except the currently installed OLD Processor and Motherboard.

I booted teh PC up, got a bunch of beeps (beep beep beep beep, etc).

So I turn off the PC, attach just the Hard Drive and RAM, and now the computer is booting (gives me errors - no drives detected, etc)

So ya! the motherboard doesn't appeared to be fried.

Im going to hook everything back up with my old stuff, and see if I can get back to Windows. Then I flash the BIOS.

How do I flash the BIOS, btw?

Thanks guys, I think with a little more work well get this fixed

Asus should have a location on their site to download the new bios as well as a program to use to flash it.

My board never beeps. I wouldn't get signal from my new build from dvi until i installed new drivers. I had to hook it up with a vga to dvi first to get signal. Maybe worth a shot dunno

Ok, so the PC with the issues is currently downloading the ASUS Flash update utility. Im going to use that to flash the BIOS (I think this utility takes care of everything, no? Or do I need to sepearately download the BIOS Update?)

Regardless, once it's Flashed, I will turn off the PC and install the new parts again. Hope this works!

Im just relieved my PC still operates fine - even with the old parts. I thought I had maybe fried my Mobo!

It should also be noted that I have never Flashed my BIOS, ever since I got the processor over 2 years ago! Im 99% sure that is why I am having issues

You will most likely need to download the bios file to flash separately

Ok.

So I booted up the PC with the old E6400 Processer (Like I mentioned). I downloaded the Flash File and the ASUS Update Utility.

I flashed the BIOS in Windows, and restarted. I immediately got a 'CMOS Checksum' failure. I restarted again, and did not get the error.

So the second time I booted, it took me to windows. I checked the latest BIOS in windows (start>run>winmsd) It showed the BIOS as being a version from 8/2008 - which I assumed was the version I installed. It was definitely newer than the original BIOS version, which Ive never updated.

Regardless, I turned off the PC, shut it down and opened it up. I reinstalled the new processor, new Heatsink, graphics card, RAM, and reconnected everything.

I put it all back together, and went to start the PC again.

Same exact problem. PC Starts up, no POST beep, no signal from monitor.

Im 99% sure if I put the old E6400 processor back in, without making any changes, that the PC will boot right up. I am going to try this right now. Atleast that way I will know for sure if the processor is causing all of this.

My suspicion is that I either:

A.) Didn't Flash the BIOS properly (which is likely, I've never done it before)
B.) The E8500 Processor is defective.

Like I said, Im going to put the E6400 back in and see if it boots. Ill post back in a few min.

Ok,

I just put the E6400 back in - without changing anything else, and sure enough, it POSTs and boots up to Windows Correctly.

After much google searches, it appears the P5B mobo and E8500 processor have had quite a few issues. It looks like only a few BIOS versions seem to work. Im going to tweaking with it until I get this fixed

flash the bios manually. All you need is a floppy drive installed and a spare floppy you can format. Then download the executable file from asus's website and it will format the floppy for you, then boot from the device using boot sequence in bios. You can do the same with usb keys now bu i'm not sure if p965 would have supported that.

On the asus site it has the list of bios updates, look for the update which actually adds the e8500 the the cpu support list. Try installing this bios and not the newest one maybe there is something wrong with the newest bios. Or google to see what bios verison others are using. But to me it sounds as if the e8500 is faulty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom