Am3 955

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrCoffee

Fully Optimized
The AMD Phenom II X4 955 is about to be released, tomorrow maybe?, anyone seen any reviews or benchmarks yet?
I'll be interested to see how it performs against the i7 920.

Edit:

Phenom II X4 955

looks a little dodgy to me... I guess we'll have plenty of reliable reviews through the rest of the week.

Ehh, theirs already a thread about this under New Hardware. And if it's anything like the Phenom II 920, it's going to have to be overclocked quite a bit to be similar to the Core i7 920 @ stock speeds.

the 955 is a 3.2GHZ chip with an unlocked multiplier, and also works on AM3 boards with DDR3.

the 940 is already competitive against the i7's, especially on price. Unless you're running programs which can take advantage of 8 threads.

Ehh, theirs already a thread about this under New Hardware.

Is there? wheres that exactly? I wouldn't of started another if i'd known.

And if it's anything like the Phenom II 920, it's going to have to be overclocked quite a bit to be similar to the Core i7 920 @ stock speeds.

Ah but it has more cache, maybe that'll give it the boost it needs to compete with the i7 920, obviously not in pure number crunching but at least on a price performance basis.

the 955 is a 3.2GHZ chip with an unlocked multiplier, and also works on AM3 boards with DDR3.

the 940 is already competitive against the i7's, especially on price. Unless you're running programs which can take advantage of 8 threads.

Of course they are on price. The reviews I've read for the 940, the only time they really competed with the with the i7 920 was in games @ lower res.

Hopefully this 955 is a beast, should be interesting to see the 955 OC'ed w/ some low lat. DDR3 1600.

Of course they are on price. The reviews I've read for the 940, the only time they really competed with the with the i7 920 was in games @ lower res.
lower res = CPU limited. So that would mean the Phenom II does well in CPU limited games.

The Phenom II's do very well in games, and are cheaper, and they overclock very well, and their general system performance is still very good.

phenom II 940 owner here,

the 955 will perform slightly above the level of the 940, it may just overclock 100-200mhz more on average. The main difference is that the 955 can use the am3 boards and get a small performance boost from ddr3.

newegg has it listed @ $245 as we speak
Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X4 955 Deneb 3.2GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

but the i7 920 is only a few bucks more @ $279
Newegg.com - Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops
and can be found cheaper at other sites.

if I was making a new build this week, and these where my two cpu options, I would go with the i7.

but if you add in the 940 @ its current price, ($180) that would certianly mix things up.

you're forgetting the costs of the board and RAM. 955's can be used in AM2+ 790GX boards with DDR2.

while this is true, most people who can afford a pII 955 or i7 920 can afford decent components as well.

and if cost was that much of an issue, there would be very little reason to pick the 955 over the 940 if you wanted to use the am2+ board, then the two chips are basicly the same, being the only difference is the default clock.

for what gain?
when running games, there's basically no difference.

And we don't know if the 955 is going to stay at its current price. It's only just been released.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom