I am upgrading my system. This is what I have:

MSI KT4V
AMD athlon XP 2400+
e-GeFORCE FX 128mb 5200
Maxtor 80gb

dis is wut I wanna get:

I have been thinking about this m/b:

http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=K8T_Neo-FIS2R&class=mb

Have you guys seen it or heard anthing about it? is it a good one?

AMD athlon 64 2800+
eVGA GeForce FX5500, 256-A8-N313-AX
Western Digital 160GB U100 7200RPM 8MB

I am selling my current setup and that money is gonna go right into my upgrades. So if you are wondering Y do just a small jump, its cuz all I gotta “pay” is like, $70... Well, I think it’s a good deal.

If I were you, I wouldn't get that GeForce card. If you are going to go with a GeForce, get a 6800. Otherwise, go with a Radeon 9800 Pro.

how come? there is like a $300 price jump.
is the 5500 a bad card? or am I talking to a hardcore gamer who needs the best of the best :)

The 5500 will choke at games such as Doom 3 and HL2. Are you doing serious gaming? If not, I would suggest this card. Otherwise, go with a higher performance card such as the Radeon 9800 Pro, or at very minimum the GeForce 5700 Ultra.

the "most-demanding" game I play is WCIII.
But, there is only a $80 jump to the 5700. that could be do-able.

what about the m/b ?

I wouldn't upgrade now if I were you, around X-mas time prices. New AMD chipsets and motherboards will be out and the current prices would be down by quite a bit. If you feel you have to get it now then I would say it is a good board. MSI has done a great job at making the Athlon64 motherboards. I would chose an MSI board for myself. The VIA chipset is good. I prefer the Nforce 250Gb but it's mostly just a preference thing, not much of a performance thing, just extra features.

The mobo you selected does not appear to support dual channel RAM, which could help you out if you ever wanted to play more advanced games than WCIII.

this mothervoard will be much stabler and he can't use dual channel ram anyways because the cpu he selected doesn't support it even though alot of the boards do.

well, what combo of cpu and m/b do you reccomend...
(AMD / MSI) i dont have a billion $'s to spend for the "best" stuff, but am not planning on getting an up-grade for free either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom