Choosing a case

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those fans are fine, push a good amount of air at only 18db. But tbh all you need is one fan for intake because i think the 300 just comes with an outake. getting 3 is just a waste of money and you won't notice any improvement.

Yep baron is on the money. The 300 comes with 2 exhaust fans (top and back). I would start with a single front intake fan and you should be fine. If you are still hot next I would add the side fan and lastly a second front fan.

Your not taking into account shipping charges OCUK have it for £46 + shipping whilst ebuyer have it for £46.12 incl shipping.
Antec 300 Three Hundred Black Case - No PSU - Ebuyer

You're quite right and I did notice that, however I tend to go with OCUK whenever I can, they usually charge a little extra but the customer service is second to none. Over the years i've shopped with Ebuyer, Dabs, Scan, Aria, Novatech, and others but these days, unless i'm looking for something specific that they don't have, I always shop OCUK.

Cheers for the advice about the fans guys, one thing though, I will have 4+ HDDs... would i need two intake fans to coll all the HDDs? there are 6 bays so I will use slots 1,3,4,6 leaving gaps at 2 and 5 for the fans to push through?
Oh, and i'm thinking passive cooling for the GFX card.

Anyone have any comments about the HX520 PSU? Will I need more juice i.e. the HX620?

I don't really like OCUK, they are ok but I wouldn't go out of my way to se them, I won't buy from scan ever again. I now always try and shop with kustompcs as a small shop their customer support is truly #1 and they do go out of your way to help you plus got to support the little guys as I don't particularly like giant faceless corporations. If I send an email to kustom I know it will be replied to within the hour and it will be Graeme whom replies and I like that continiouty plus he is part owner so has an encyclopedic knowledge of what they can and can't do.

I called up OCUK once to inform them of a price error in there clearance section (a motherboard which normally is £230 selling as refurbished at £989) aswell as making an enquiry on an item I actually wanted to buy. The guy on the phone virtually said "computer says no" when I told him about the obvious error, he wasn't going to inform his manager of the issue, he wasn't going to change it himself he simply said the computer system says the price is correct and displaying correctly. There is no passion in his job (I realise as a call centre it would be difficult to instill in them) and he obviously doesn't care about the item or the company negating the reason for there to be someone to actually talk to as opposed to a machine.

Power draws:
I7 920 = 130W
Hdd = 12Wx4 = 48W so say 50W
4890 = 60W idle or 190w max = 190W
Everything else = 50W
total = 400W

so either will be fine :)

Well I agree about Scan, they really stiched up a friend of mine, they sent him the wrong stepping CPUs and wouldn't change them, the mobo failed, was RMA'd, failed again, was RMA'd, Failed again, they wouldn't refund him for the board so he had to take a similar spec board that wasn't as good and that has never really worked 100% because there is something off with the sata controller, the PSU blew up twice... it was just a tale of woe really and Scan were about a unhelpful as they could be.

Anyway, cheers all. I'll get the HX520, a couple of fans, and the antec 300.

Umm, i'm seeing much higher power draws for the GPU and CPU when overclocked in reviews... is this going to be a problem?

Do I need to worry about capacitor ageing? I ask because I'll probably be running this computer for 4+ years. Do solid caps age like the electrolytic ones?

EDIT: I've already ordered the HX520 btw so its a little academic at this point :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom