My new CPU is overheating

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmg12

Solid State Member
I just upgraded my processor from a Intel Core 2 E6600 at 2.4 to a Intel Core 2 QX6850. The processor that I bought had only been lightly used but it did not come with a heatsink and fan, so I used the one that I had been using. After installing it into my system, I had problems getting the system to boot, it would shut off on its own. I tried reinstalling the old processor, and it was doing the same thing before Windows finished loading, and often during post. After I left it off for a while, I reinstalled the new processor and started the computer. It booted into Windows Vista and was running much faster than my old processor, Vista detected and installed the new processor and everything was good. Then it shut off. Waited about 10 minutes and then restarted the computer. Was finally able to get into BIOS to look at the system stats. The processor is getting too hot. Even while sitting there looking at the system monitor in BIOS, CPU temperature was steadily rising. It rose from 96F to almost 200F in just over 2 minutes before the computer shut off. I have never had issues with CPU temp before now. Any ideas?

My system is:
Intel Core2 QX6850 at 3.0GHz
6GB RAM
Nvidia 650i Ultra MB

Did you remove the old thermal paste and put some fresh on before you reinstalled the cooler?

Yes, it can. Also, make sure you got the heatsink secure. Intel's push pins are a real pain.

Ok, i will take it apart and clean off the old thermal compound and get some new compound. Do I need to get some sort of remover for the thermal compound? Oh yes, and I HATE those plastic Intel push pins.

ok, i guess i will be headed to a computer parts store to get the compound i need.

right, tx-2 or as5 are the best. certainly want to put some good compound on there....man o man how i hate the intel push-pins....such a pain

ok i will look for those when i go to the computer supply store tonight. when i get home i will clean off the old compound, apply the new and see if it works. if not i will need to look at other options.

do you believe that the stock Intel Core2 heatsink with fan should provide sufficient cooling if it is not being overclocked?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom