MSI GX620 Laptop - No Display, but still boots up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harper

"I FEEL SO GOOD I FEEL SO NUMB, YEAH!!!"
3 weeks, I had the following problem with my MSI GX620 Laptop. Turn on laptop. The monitor lights up. However there is text showing the post. Nor can you see windows booting up. However from the speakers you can hear windows booting up in the background.
You can not even get a display from the plugging in an external monitor. And I have tried both the HDMI and VGA ports on the back.

I took the laptop down to MSI. They were able to fix the laptop by upgrading the BIOS.

Tonight. The same problem has occured again. In addition to the no display, you can hear some sort of squeeking / whistling noise coming from the laptop.

I am calling up MSI tomorrow. Thankfully this should be covered via warranty. However in the mean time does any one have any pearls of wisdom of what is going on?

I remember reading last year where some one was commenting that there is some thing buggy about the nVidia Mobile GeForce 9000 Series. COuld this be related?

Also, this is the second time which the notebooks has to be sent into the RMA. Does any one know if it gets sent in for a third time, does that mean i get a new replacement laptop from MSI (rather hopeful)

I have seen people from time to time pressing the lcd/vga button on laptops causing them to try to output to a monitor that is not hooked up. My daughter enjoys pulling this one on me but have seen grown adults do it.

Also, have you tried hooking a monitor up to it to see if it has the same issues.

I'm not intimately familiar with the gpu used on this notebook but I would suspect a loose or poor connection between the gpu and the motherboard that might be causing this. I suppose you could try flashing the BIOS again yourself but after that it's all I've got. At least it's still under warranty but it's odd to have issues like this with MSI laptops, they're usually pretty solid. I don't think they have a No Lemon policy but that's a better question for them.

I have seen people from time to time pressing the lcd/vga button on laptops causing them to try to output to a monitor that is not hooked up. My daughter enjoys pulling this one on me but have seen grown adults do it.

Tried that

Also, have you tried hooking a monitor up to it to see if it has the same issues.

Tried that too.

I'm not intimately familiar with the gpu used on this notebook but I would suspect a loose or poor connection between the gpu and the motherboard that might be causing this. I suppose you could try flashing the BIOS again yourself but after that it's all I've got.

That was done last time. And according to the MSI Tech that I was speaking with last time, I need to crack the VOID WARRANTY Sticker in order to flash the bios in this notebook.

At least it's still under warranty but it's odd to have issues like this with MSI laptops, they're usually pretty solid. I don't think they have a No Lemon policy but that's a better question for them.
I will call them up in an hour or so's time. At least the service centre is near by.

I will see about droping the laptop off for RMA at lunchtime.

Took it down at lunch time today. They are telling me that the video card is faulty.
So I am going to be with out my main rig for a few days.

Some one is going to die if they format my hard drive. The think that I really don't like about MSI Laptops is that they put this a warranty tag on the access cover for my harddrive and ram.

^ I don't like that either. Complicates everything a lot. Was the 9600M one of those video cards that Nvidia made that ended up being faulty? I can't remember.

Got the notebook back yesterday. Originaly I was going to pick it up this morning, but the conference I was at finished just early enough for me to get to the repair centre to pick it up.

If any thing, I am rather happy with the level of support that I am getting from MSI.

^ I don't like that either. Complicates everything a lot. Was the 9600M one of those video cards that Nvidia made that ended up being faulty? I can't remember.
It was pretty much the entire 9000 M series. I would not suprised me that this was one of them

At least they're taking good care of you, yeah. The issues you're having seem really strange but I guess if it's the 9000m series that's having these issues it's not so surprising. Hopefully the gpu they replaced has that defect fixed and you're good to go now.

The good thing about MSI, at least, is that they do have solid warranty service for their products. You've got 2 or 3 years warranty on that notebook don't you?

At least they're taking good care of you, yeah. The issues you're having seem really strange but I guess if it's the 9000m series that's having these issues it's not so surprising. Hopefully the gpu they replaced has that defect fixed and you're good to go now.
Yeah. I was more or sell awhere of the problem when I purchased the notebook orginaly. At the time, I was crossing my figures hoping that i would not be affected. At at the time, there was not that many notebooks

The good thing about MSI, at least, is that they do have solid warranty service for their products. You've got 2 or 3 years warranty on that notebook don't you?

MSI offers 2 year standard on all thier laptops (not including the MSI Wind Netbook which only comes with 1 year). However via my work, I can extend that up to another 3 years Australia wide via United Electrical. Not sure if I am going to pick that option up or not. It really comes down to whether or not i keep this laptop beyond 2010.

I just had exactly the same thing happen to my GX620 yesterday.

I've noticed a squeeking noise from the back for the past week or so, but i had assumed it was the hard drive about to fail...

Slight difference - my external monitor still functions. I had the laptop hooked up to an external and used dual screens, and then while using it bam the main laptop screen died while watching a dvd on it, and surfing on the external.

I called MSI and am they are going to arrange a courier to pick it up from me and then will fix/return it. I'm in canberra, so unfortunatley the nearest service centre is sydney. Anyway, good to hear its fixable.

Did you have any problems with losing data from your HD when you got your laptop back? I want to know how much i should back up my data before sending it off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom