Random restarts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lemming3k

Solid State Member
Hi, I've recently installed a new graphics card(upgrading my Radeon x1300 to a HD4670).
Since then I seem to be getting random restarts when I run games or try to run DVD's. They start up ok, sometimes running for between a minute and a few hours and then I just get a restart. Never any bluescreen though. I wondered if it might be an inadequate PSU but I've heard other people with similar setups don't have any problems.
I installed the latest drivers yesterday(recent update), but that hasn't solved it. It could possibly be over-heating but I have been running it with the side off for the last week or two and it still restarted(although possibly not as often).

I've also ruled out the DVD drive as some games are run from the HD.
Any thoughts at all? Known system specs below:

OS - Vista 32 bit home premium.
AMD Athlon 64 x2 dual core 5600+ 2.8ghz
4GB ram
2 sata 160gb HD's
HD4670
Dell PSU 305w
Has a pretty basic soundcard.
Don't know the motherboard though.

that is a pretty small PSU you have there...might be causing the problem....also did you clean out the old driver from the Radeon completely before installing the HD?

Unfortunately Dell does not put the highest of quality power supplies in their computers.

My first and strongest impression would be the psu.

Could check temps on your cpu but I doubt that is the issue.

edit:
Yes ATI reccomends a 400watt psu to power that card.

400 Watt or greater power supply (550 Watt for ATI CrossFireXâ„¢ technology in dual mode) is recommended

ATI Radeonâ„¢ HD 4600 Series - System Requirements

Pick up a good quality 400 to 450watt psu

that is a pretty small PSU you have there...might be causing the problem....also did you clean out the old driver from the Radeon completely before installing the HD?

Yes, I had problems installing it without doing so(even though the instructions that came with it didn't mention doing so). :)

Unfortunately Dell does not put the highest of quality power supplies in their computers.

My first and strongest impression would be the psu.

Could check temps on your cpu but I doubt that is the issue.

edit:
Yes ATI reccomends a 400watt psu to power that card.

400 Watt or greater power supply (550 Watt for ATI CrossFireXâ„¢ technology in dual mode) is recommended

ATI Radeonâ„¢ HD 4600 Series - System Requirements

Pick up a good quality 400 to 450watt psu
Yeh that's what I suspected I've just heard rumours that it works on a 305. Unfortunately the whole system has been quite poor quality. I'm just reluctant to spend out on a new PSU without confirming it as the problem(I have an antec 650 in mind). Is there an easy way of checking the temp of the card? In the ATI catalyst centre it says 40 degrees but I'm not sure if that's an active temp gauge or just an estimate/pretty picture.:confused:

40c is a good temp for a gfx card for sure, it is probably pretty accurate pulling the temp off the sensor in the card itself....

If you happen to have a friend with a strong enough psu hook it up to your machine. Once it works flawlessly you will have your confirmation.

If you happen to have a friend with a strong enough psu hook it up to your machine. Once it works flawlessly you will have your confirmation.

I've borrowed one for a few days to test it so hopefully will have some answers soon. :)

okay good good...let us know the results ^_^

Sadly now I've taken the side off it seems that despite his PSU being 600w it's rather out of date, no sata connectors(which is fine I have old drives I can use), but more importantly it's only a 20pin motherboard connector, whilst I've heard you can use these in a 24pin motherboard slot I run a PCI E16x card and coupled with my other specs I suspect the motherboard draws too much power to use a 20pin and I run the risk of frying my MB if I use this PSU. :(

On the up side I can touch the fan cover on my graphics card and it's not hot in the least, I can also see it clearly rotating, so I know it's working and don't think it's an overheating issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom